WAG Middle splits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have always been *embarrassingly* inflexible. To put in perspective, my father, who is in his mid forties, was more flexible than I was before I started gymnastics. My mother who never stretches is almost as flexible as I am currently. The flexibility lords must hold a personal grudge against me because it took me 6 freaking months to get my “splits” (which still aren’t really down completely!) if they even be called that.

Anyway. It’s my middle splits I have REALLY been struggling with. I know they’re a bit more difficult than front splits but I’ve hit a plateau. Here are some photos some reference and comparison-
Front splits before
6F626260-6463-4C4B-8C84-B091D1224ED2.jpeg

Front splits now
C47E60E7-DE32-4899-89EF-7BD6BA26031C.jpeg

EA8A81C8-F647-4519-831A-A31AEFCF84AF.jpeg

Middle splits before (ignore the stuff in the background we had just moved in lol):
AC2F7C20-1C20-4E8B-B424-BEF0ABB6148E.jpeg

Middle splits for the past 3 months:
7ED8D007-8963-45BD-B3CA-0F098D0EE57D.jpeg

Aaaand they’re not progressing from there, even though my front splits have. I stretch for around 10-15 min almost everyday while reading or studying or watching tv. Even though I said it took 6 months it was more like 5 since I got sick for a month straight in November and didn’t stretch at all during that time.

I read somewhere that some people can never get their middle splits because of their anatomy. Is that true? I want to be able to do a split leap and wide straddle in general, so is there anything I could do to get me further down?

I appreciate your replies!

You are making great progress! Work your right split as well. Your time frames are just not right... 6 months is actually fast... keep working and you will continue to make progress. I would measure your progress in 3 month time periods so you can see the progress. Also remember that when you grow you will tighten up again.

Last edited:
You are making great progress! Work your right split as well. Your time frames are just not right... 6 months is actually fast... keep working and you will continue to make progress. I would measure your progress is 3 month time periods so you can see the progress. Also remember that when you grow you will tighten up again.
I guess my parents are just abnormally flexible.....I was comparing myself to them XD
This brings me hope!

I feel you, I was always wildly unflexible for a gymnast. I got my middle splits first, strange enough, but it took me a year to get my good leg splits (unsquarely) and another year to get square hips. I never could get my bad leg splits, during covid I tried and pulled a muscle stretching. I also had an injury and lost my middles. Finally, during my senior L9 year (last year) I got all 3 down at the same time.

The good news is that even though you may never be one of those gorgeously flexible instagram pose type gymnasts, it doesn't necessarily effect your gymnastics. I had average/good switch/switch half leaps, as well as jumps on beam. It never was past what I needed but I got to the requirement and didn't get angle deductions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back