WAG Mihai Brestyan leaving for Australia?!?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MAcastsalot

Proud Parent
i just saw that he has been confirmed to coach Australia's national team. I'm guessing that the gym won't stay open for long, but did he comment either way on the status of the gym?

Wow. That's going to be interesting. What about Aly? She was going to come back for Tokyo.

There was no comment on the status of his US gym, but he hasn't been there much, to work with others besides Aly, in years (not to say he doesn't work with other levels at times but his priority has always been Olympics, Olympics, Olympics...and he produces so you gotta give him that)....and his coaching staff isn't the same caliber as he is so there's that. Mihai's a nice guy but with a huge ego and evidently he DID mind being passed over for Valeri....I never saw him retiring and he really only likes to work with Olympians... and Australia just basically handed him the keys to the car so he's off!

I wish him well and kudos to Australia for luring him over.....Australia's vault and floor routines should be making strides!

I also read somewhere that he was planning to fly to AUS once a month for team camps, so maybe he thinks he can do both. Sounds exhausting.
We're in the midst of a vacation of seven time zone difference from home and 10 days in our sleep cycles remain upside down. Doing that to Australia on a regular basis is exhausting to even think about!

I would think they would expect the person to move to Australia. Bookworm, thanks for your insight.

The huge ego coach always annoys me. I get that a high level coach needs confidence but his and Geddert's style bugs me. Hopefully more positive young coaches can train US gymnasts in an attitude resembling Borman and Chow.

Wow. That's going to be interesting. What about Aly? She was going to come back for Tokyo.
Not to dis Aly at all....but new boyfriend, new limelight, sports illustrated, God knows what else....Tokyo is not really on the mind at the moment.

And if she wants to, she will find a way.

I would think they would expect the person to move to Australia. Bookworm, thanks for your insight.

The huge ego coach always annoys me. I get that a high level coach needs confidence but his and Geddert's style bugs me. Hopefully more positive young coaches can train US gymnasts in an attitude resembling Borman and Chow.

Mihai has a huge ego but he is not cut from the same cloth as Geddert....

And I think he truly cares about the kids. He always seemed to care about helping ALL the girls on the National team, not just his. Will be interesting to see what he can do for Australia. 3+ years until O's gives him time to actually do something.

I was about to say the same thing. Ego maybe, but would never lump Mihai in with Geddert.
Yeah, no way. And really -- you don't get to that level without having a certain amount of jutzpah and confidence. That comes out in different ways, but being confident isn't a bad thing. But Mihai is no John G. At all.

Mihai, is super nice! sometimes coaches may appear to have giant ego's but appearances are just that... appearances... that being said, he has every right to act like a super star coach because he is. that being said, this is a major loss for the USA.

We're in the midst of a vacation of seven time zone difference from home and 10 days in our sleep cycles remain upside down. Doing that to Australia on a regular basis is exhausting to even think about!

I was thinking that he's a bit old to be flying over so many time zones once a month, and I don't mean that in a bad way as he is still a vibrant and active coach-it would be exhausting for anyone! Will be interesting to see what happens-if he and Sylvie move or not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back