Off Topic Miley Cyrus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At the risk of sounding terrible, I don't think the outfit is all that bad. It's not conservative, sure, but I don't think it's out of control. I'm wearing shorts that are probably shorter than that right now.

That said, I am constantly amazed that Miley Cyrus is what, not quite 17 yet? I would honestly guess she was about 21 in that video. I'm sure it's all the makeup.

At the risk of sounding terrible, I don't think the outfit is all that bad. It's not conservative, sure, but I don't think it's out of control. I'm wearing shorts that are probably shorter than that right now.

That said, I am constantly amazed that Miley Cyrus is what, not quite 17 yet? I would honestly guess she was about 21 in that video. I'm sure it's all the makeup.
Well it's not so much the short-shorts, but if i were her, i wouldn't wear those kind of shorts in a video thats gonna be broadcasted all over, ya know?

and yeah the makeup makes her look like a raccoon. i just think it's a shame how Hollywood's making these girls grow up so fast. :(

I think it could be worse...I mean look at what Christina Aguilera was doing when she first burst onto the scene...I believe it was Genie in the Bottle where she showed her thong...wasn't she about 17? Maybe I'm mistaken.

I like Miley and I think she wanted to have fun. She's trying to break away from the Disney Channel cute appeal and sure, maybe she's overcompensating a bit, but she has to learn that for herself.

Haha cute, NYgymfan :p!! I didn't think it was too inappropriate for 17 years old. Now if she was 13 wearing that then yeah. I think what Miley is going through right now is a transition to where she wants to break into more adult roles. She has been doing the Disney thing targeted at the kid and tween market for so long so probably feels like she is "outgrowing" that. But, with that said, hopefully she can make a smooth transition into the more mature roles without having bad press about her. Some of the kids that I recall making that transition very smoothly and classy are Amanda Bynes, Natalie Portman, and Emma Roberts to name a few.

Nothing really shocking in there for me from the perspective of her being a pop star and such. I seriously doubt she walks around the house in her music video get up! She's trying to grow up and be more adult and all that, I just wish she'd let go of the 'country bumpkin lands in the big city with a guitar and now all the sudden all her values are on the line OMG HEY I'LL WRITE A SONG ABOUT IT!' shtick. If she's trying to be seen as an adult anyway. Maybe it's just me but that whole quandary seems very immature. Or maybe she thinks that theme will keep her kid fans and short shorts will remind everyone how close she is to 18. When it's put like that it sounds very premeditated and gross, but really I don't think the music business goes much deeper than 'sex sells.'

I dont actually think its that bad at all...
Shes just wearing shorts and a tank top...I see girls walking up and down the street with that stuff on. The dancing is more "conservative" than what you'll see at teen parties, and her makeup is decent...
The cleavage is a bit much, but again, not unusual. Especially for a 17 year old..
Love the boots
=D

it is not bad really people in tennesse where that kind of stuff and well those shorts are not short short i say that is way normal clothing for a 17 yesr old in any place to where

As a fairly conservative dad -- I can't say I would "object" to her outfit at all.
As long as all the "important areas" are covered - it's JUST an outfit. A bikini swim suit has far less - and is very common for teens of all ages.

Gosh you all should see how European teenagers dress...Miley doesn't seem so bad then! But really...I wouldn't want to be told I had to act like and dress like a 10 year old kid when I am 17, so I can kinda sympathize..even if I can't stand her music!

I don't have a problem with the outfit either. And like another poster mentioned I LOVE THE BOOTS!!! my DD has shorts about that short. And she is 10. Now the bra showing under the tank top....not so much. If my DD came out looking like that I would make her change but she is not in a music video either. I think it is more for publicity than anything. She is trying to break out of the Hannah Montana role and become her own person. I would hate to see her go down the Brittany path. Time will tell.

the bra is perhaps somewhat inappropriate. but i do own shorts that short. she is 17 too... and its not like this is a disney song either. its a miley song.

I agree that it's inappropriate. Not only for the reasons originally mentioned, but also many of her fans (probably the majority) are kids in elementary school, maybe middle school. She needs to keep in mind that she is a big role model for these kids and they will imitate her.

Well, considering recent events...it's just an outfit until there's a 44yr old producer to grind on. Miley needs to stop, she's turning into Lohan 2.0

Well for a 17yo to wear that i don't think its a problem, BUT...she has an audience that is aged from about 5 - 13 which she needs to perform for. Having said that she can dress as revealing as she wants when she is going through her day to day life. however when she is performing (be it on stage or music video whatever) she needs to remember that that isn't appropriate for those aged around 5 - 13 (13 borderline) so she just needs to remember that so i think although for her age its not inappropriate and i am fairly sure i have worn more revealing clothes at parties and what have you but as i was saying my audience was not little kids we where as Miley Cyrus's is.

When you are a public figure you need to dress for your audience as you are being watched all the time and anything you do could harm your career. (remember Miley's pole dancing at the awards ceremony when she sung party in the USA

However Optionals rocks has a point!!!! ok i am 15 ok and i wouldn't dance like that like really, well if it was a choreographed routine i wouldn't have a choice but 7,8,9 that is way to outrageous for that age group. Saying that they were very good dancers, the turns were amazing, amazing technique that should be invested in ballet or contemporary, or something of that sort where their brilliant technique will take them places.

Last edited:
Well if you think that is bad, take a look at this!!!!!!!!! Keep in mind these are 7,8,9 year olds! :eek:

YouTube - Little Girls Dancing Single Ladies - Beyonce

I posted that on my facebook page, it's so incredibly offputting! Even in my most non conservative state, I would never be ok with pairing scandalous choreography with an even more scandalous outfit. For under 10 no less! One of the responses I got was from a friend who's niece dances at that studio. They are obviously very good at what they do, so the parents maybe go with it because the training is excellent. I honestly think it would have gone over better publicly if either the choreography or the outfits had been toned down to a more age appropriate level. When I watched it I found myself looking for signs of childishness to combat the oversexed hype. I wonder if the judges were too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back