Parents Mill Circle "landed"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bella's Mom

I know that to many of you parents of L5 and above this isn't a big deal but for us, right now it is so bear with me....

Bella landed her first mill circle last night at gym after several months of practice. I was in class so I didn't get to see it but I was talking to my dad at the time and he was watching her workout. He got all excited and told me she had just made her first one all the way around! So it was kinda like being there.

Bella called me on the way home from the gym to tell me all about it. She got a coach high five and got to ring the cowbell! That's big when you're six!

That's a BIG accomplishment and it mill circles can be tough for kids older than 6 too! So she should be PROUD of herself!

The mill circle is evil. If you have had a kid do level 4, you totally understand. I was nervous EVERY time. Even when she started doing really great consistent bar routines. I still remember when she got it, too. She was so excited. They had a gong at her old gym and she got to ring it and she was thrilled.

Congrats to Bella! That is a big skill. Be ready for the ups and downs of it, too. I tell ya it is evil. LOL. My DD (level 5) said she tried the L4 bar routine without her grips the other day (she is too afraid to do the mill circle with grips) and she couldn't make her mill circle. :D

Congrats to Bella!!

Our level 5's were playing around yesterday trying to see if they could still do mill circles and it was a pathetic showing. Almost every parent of a level 4 or child who competed 4 knows this skill is a nightmare. Awesome job!!

congrats to Bella! and tell her not to get discouraged if it comes and goes...it IS an evil skill!! (lol) My dd missed hers at her last meet, and went back into the gym...did 20 in a row, hitting it every time. She can't wait for level 5 just to be rid of the darn thing!!:D

Congrats on the victory over the evil mill circle. Like many have said, anyone who has had a kid in L3 or L4 knows all too well how nasty that thing is. My older DD landed her first one at a meet. Younger one is still struggling with it...she needs a one finger spot but without it is nowhere close!

Congrats again! It's a big deal! Celebrate!:)

Good for Bella and yes it is a big deal :D That is one skill my DD struggled with most of L4!! Some girls can do it beautifully but it seems to be a skill that it not for all gymies;).

Thank you all for warm words of encouragement and warning about how fleeting the skill can be. I know how much she wants to do it again on Friday when she has gym again but I'm trying to explain that it will be okay if she isn't able to hit it again.

We are VERY excited about it here! Mostly I love that she is learning the lesson that practice and hard work pay off.

Wow that is awesome - and she is a level 2.5! ;) I say that moves her up to at least a 2.9 if not more! My daughter is level 3 and cannot do it without help. Bella should be proud!!!

The mill circle is evil, I agree. It seems as if my daughter has been working on it forever and is not even close. Last night at practice, sh simply refused to do it, even with the coach spotting. I am hoping she was just tired and frustrated and that she isn't developing a fear of them:(

Congrats to Bella! That is awesome! When she perfects her, send the mill circle fairies our direction!

DD is Level 3 going on 4, and that Mill Circle still gives her trouble. She can get around almost every time now, but sometimes she overshoots (falls forward for another half rotation). I've been watching the girls who appear to get it done easily, and I notice that they have a very slight backward lean as they get to the top, and that seems to help them not overshoot. I wonder if it would help DD to think about that. I also noticed that the taller girls with long legs seem to have less difficulty - I don't know if that's pure coincidence.

I also noticed that the taller girls with long legs seem to have less difficulty - I don't know if that's pure coincidence.

No wonder Bella has such difficulty with them. She has the short, muscular gymnast build rather than the long, lean Nastia form.

No wonder Bella has such difficulty with them. She has the short, muscular gymnast build rather than the long, lean Nastia form.

My 7 yo Dani is the same - she's short and powerful, all muscle. Her legs are also short compared to her torso length - she would be 2 or 3 inches taller if her legs were in proper proportion. But she still wins most of the races on sports day - she's a powerhouse!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back