WAG Mill Circle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Moxiegrl83

Proud Parent
Is this new for the L3 routine? Because I just went back and watched my niece's L3 bar routine at a meet, and there was no mill circle. It was a pullover, BHC, leg cut, then a toe on dismount. But my little one's L3 routine has the mill circle in it, after the leg cut. TIA!

My DD competed L3 2 seasons ago and the Mill Circle was part of the bar routine. How long ago did your niece compete L3? I think the routines haven't changed since 2008 (correct me if I am wrong) and are about to change again in August 2013.

I thought I remembered the mill circle as being a level 4 thing, but I watched a few level 3 videos on youtube and yup, there's the mill circle. I have seen gymnasts leave something out of a routine and have the judges not deduct for it (last year a teammate of my daughter's forgot her full turn on beam and the judges didn't catch it) but the level 3 bar routine is so short already, you wouldn't think a judge would fail to catch a missed mill circle.

My niece is 10, and has been doing gymnastics for 2-3 years. I posted the video on FB March of 2011, so it had to be the previous season of meets, maybe late 2010? She didn't start gymnastics til she was 8, and turns 11 in Feb. I was wondering why my DD's preteam was so focused on the mill circles, when it was in L4!

Perhaps she was competing somewhere where they have AAU or a similar league? Sometimes they have slightly modified USAG routines and some leagues are similar to optionals. It has definitely been in USAG routine.

That makes sense. I asked my sister, but she thought the routines were the same, just the judging different. Her old gym competed AAU so that's probably it. Youtube was no help, as I kept finding both routines.

Edit. Well, it gets more confusing. I just called to tell my sister, (we've been talking about it today), and I forgot, she competed one season of AAU L3, then competed USAG L3 with the same routine. It doesn't really matter, it's in my little one's routine, and she's this close to having it. :)

I don't know what region you are in but, I am in region 8 and in the AAU league here, in my state, there is no mill circle in level 3. AAU has different rules and they vary from region to region. USAG is standard across the US.

Mill circle is a tough one... and after level 4 they never need it again. I wonder if my DD (level 7) could do one now? I'm sure she hasn't tried one in years!

Mill circle is a tough one... and after level 4 they never need it again. I wonder if my DD (level 7) could do one now? I'm sure she hasn't tried one in years!

My dd Level 7 tried one the other day just for fun and made it the only problem she had was her legs are longer now then when she was in Level 4 so she kicked the bar. She HATED that skill but now she sees the reason they did it as she works on some reverse grip skills.

The mill circle is dredded by many and mastered by few.
They all struggle to get it and most will never master it.
Thank goodness after L4 it's gone
It was a cause of much frustration for my DD

It was definitely a skill my niece did that stuck in my mind, and I'd heard my sister talking about it before. So when DD's group was working really hard to get it lately, I wondered why...I asked a coach what routine it was in, and she said L3 and L4. It looks like one of their toughest skills yet to really perfect.

I suppose it's still in the requirements after the level change next year? Or don't we know yet?

I suppose it's still in the requirements after the level change next year? Or don't we know yet?

According to what I read, level 3 bars (old level 4) will have the option of the mill circle or the single leg basket swing (although I'm not sure what that is). I confess that even though my daughter was way more secure on it last season, I still held my breath every time. Glad we never have to see that one again!

I don't know what region you are in but, I am in region 8 and in the AAU league here, in my state, there is no mill circle in level 3. AAU has different rules and they vary from region to region. USAG is standard across the US.

Actually it is different sometimes state to state and depends on what rules your gym follows. There is AAU and AAU Nationals (both AAU but slightly different standards) My dd is level 4 but in level 3 if we went to regular AAU meets they had to do the mill circle, but if the meet followed AAU national rules, there wasn't a mill circle.

My older DD (level 6) can't do a mill circle anymore. It took my middle DD over a year to get the darn thing. It actually was quite good and consistent by the end of her L4 season. Tiny DD is a level 2 and I am hoping she can do the single leg basket swing thing when she moves up a level (I have given up trying to predict what "level" my girls will be next year) ;)

My DD is good at bars, but she still was always inconsistent on the mill circle - even when she got it done it was never without some deduction for bent legs etc. She is planning to compete L5 in November, and we are both hoping she will be ready because she does not want to have to drop back to L4 and have to start working on that darned mill circle again!

Actually it is different sometimes state to state and depends on what rules your gym follows. There is AAU and AAU Nationals (both AAU but slightly different standards) My dd is level 4 but in level 3 if we went to regular AAU meets they had to do the mill circle, but if the meet followed AAU national rules, there wasn't a mill circle.

Everyone at AAU nationals last year did the mill circle for L4 but not for L3. We have not seen it in L3 at any regular meets either. That said, my dd is L4 this year and the mill circle drama has already begun..... I do hope whatever that basket thing is is also an option for L4 AAU next year as I am sure my dd will be repeating L4 with the new routines. None of our team girls have been able to get it perfectly.

The "front mill" was the bane of my daughter's gymnastics existence last season (she was Level 3 JO). It's interesting to see the new Level 3s at our gym struggle with it and even more interesting to see the parents. I want to tell them, "Don't worry about it. By the time State comes, she'll be a rockstar at it. Enjoy the ride!"

Mill circle, RO-BHS, kip and on and on. It seems like there's always another hill to climb for these girls! We parents are so lucky to get to watch them conquer challenge after challenge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back