WAG Missing a meet for classes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I'm going to a meet. It's not exactly an in-house meet, but it's the equivalent. It's not a big meet, they don't give out medals, our gym usually sweeps, etc. However, it's a meet where everyone tries out their new, fun skills and has a bit of a de-stress before states.

Okay, my problem: at the exact same time, they're classes at a college campus near me for my grade level (not college classes, just taught by college students). It's a good college, so like they're quality classes. Anyway, so the classes are very fun, and I've been looking forward to them for the whole year.

So the classes run on saturday and sunday from 9-5 (?) i think. My meet is 3:30 on sunday, about an hour away, so I'd have to leave at like 1:00 at a minumum. I'd miss a lot of the good classes.

So basically, what do you think I should do? Go to the fun meet, or classes?

If you were my daughter and the meet were not required, I'd support your choice either way. Think about what you hope to gain from the Sunday afternoon classes and from the meet, in the short run and in the long run. Make a list of pros and cons. Talk it over with your parent(s) or another neutral, trusted adult--just talking through the issue can help to clarify your thinking.

If you decide to skip the meet, be confident, positive, and matter-of-fact when you break the news to your coach, and do it well in advance of the meet. Don't say, "Do you think it would be okay if I missed the meet because I really really want to attend these classes?" Instead say something like, "I wanted to let you know that I won't be able to attend the meet because I'll be attending an academic event at XYZ college. This is a really important opportunity for me, so I'm sorry to have to miss the meet." If you own your choice, your coach will be more likely to respect it. Every coach my daughter has ever had has agreed that school comes first.

classes! and my dd's coach would be cheering her on. it's required that the upper levels/older girls show him their report cards. if someone needs to miss a practice due to studies, go for it.

just tell your coach and have fun!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back