Anon Misuse of XCEL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes. Its not by choice of the gymnasts, its a way of ridding the team of any gymnasts who aren't young hotshots topping the podium so they can have a full team of elite track girls. This specific gym I am thinking of treats it as a "lesser than" program, rather than another different, but still valid option. Sorry if I was not clear.
Oops forgot to uncheck the box. That was posted by me.

IF you look at the USAG description for the XCEL program, it is very vague. There really isn't a way to 'misuse' it if you are within the rules. Basically, I look at it as a great way to keep athletes that would otherwise leave the sport - a girl who can't get her KIP but would be bored out of her mind with another year of level 3...girls with mental blocks on specific skills required at JD levels...someone with injuries that preclude them meeting some requirements on JD levels. It allows a gym freedom to adapt the program to the needs of their girls. My daughter is training for both 4 (to score out) and gold (for the rest of the season) this coming year. No need to spend the entire year with level 4 routines (which are quite similar to 3), but not wanting to jump to 5/6, so gold gives them freedom to work on a personalized floor routine, push themselves on events they are good at, and girls who can't get their kip yet can compete gold until they get it, etc. This track has helped keep more girls on team and you can tell they have fun! Yes, some JO traditionalists may disagree, but I think the program is serving its purpose well.

Very interesting conversation here. Actually... great conversation!

I really don't know how workout hours could be limited. I will state this though... if hours should be limited in the Xcel program... why shouldn't they be limited in the DP program? There are definitely clubs doing 20+ hours at Level 3.

Very interesting conversation here. Actually... great conversation!

I really don't know how workout hours could be limited. I will state this though... if hours should be limited in the Xcel program... why shouldn't they be limited in the DP program? There are definitely clubs doing 20+ hours at Level 3.
Good point! But Xcel was created as a lower hours programs so its a waste if it doesn’t stay that way. With DP the sky is the limit!

Good point! But Xcel was created as a lower hours programs so its a waste if it doesn’t stay that way. With DP the sky is the limit!
The original intent of xcel was not lower hours. It was to provide an alternative track with many purposes. The USAG website used to list the many uses for xcel including an additional "optional" season for compulsory gymnasts, who clearly would not have lower hours. When people began to share their concerns over the unfairness of xcel only gymnasts competing against JO gymnasts, they re-evaluated the "purpose" of xcel but it was too late by then.

Very much this and even if you put "limitations" in place people would find work arounds. Like ok our practice hours are 8 hours a week but you can "choose" to do as many privates as you want. Could be a very lucrative format for a gym and create an even worse environment. There is no such thing as fair when it comes to practice hours in any sport. But the grass isnt always greener burn out is real in all sports for this very reason.

My kid does 9–10 hours/week for XCEL Bronze. I honestly don’t know if that is considered to be average or high hours… Seems to work pretty well for my child and her team. How high is too high in XCEL?

My kid does 9–10 hours/week for XCEL Bronze. I honestly don’t know if that is considered to be average or high hours… Seems to work pretty well for my child and her team. How high is too high in XCEL?
Mine never did bronze. Her silver team practiced 12 hours but her gym used xcel to optionals when my dd was younger.

I'd say that's on the high end for bronze. At our gym bronze does 6, silver 8, gold-diamond 12. Comparatively, L3-L4 do 12. 6 does 16, etc. So it is less hours in general compared to DP.

I'd say that's on the high end for bronze. At our gym bronze does 6, silver 8, gold-diamond 12. Comparatively, L3-L4 do 12. 6 does 16, etc. So it is less hours in general compared to DP.
Interesting. Our gym uses Xcel in place of DP. Bronze does 9 hours, Silver/Gold do 12, and Optionals do 16+. Anyone who is on the team is required to do a minimum of 6 weeks of summer camp at the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back