WAG Mobility score for level 4 and 5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Did the mobility score for compulsories change? I thought it was 32... is it 34 now?

Also, is there any way you can move up levels without getting the mobility score? I have all my skills with good form at practice but mess up badly because of nervousness at meets

Thank you!
Do you have any idea of moving up to level 5 without a 34?
I might be taking this comment the wrong way. If so, I apologize.

With that said, generally judging gets more picky as you move up so be careful moving unless you have all your skills to a sufficiently clean standard. If your skills are clean, a 34 AA shouldn’t be a barrier even if you only focus on the L4 routines for a week or two.

If not, I don’t think going to 5 is going to be a very fun or positive experience.

Oh okay, thank you
I m too old to be at level 4, and I have all the skills. Was wondering if i could move up...
If you are older, there is an alternate option to get to L7 but you have to be over 12 yrs old AND have competitive experience in something like XCEL AND have a coach willing to get the exception. If not, then you do at least 1 meet at each L4 and L5.

If you are nervous at meets and your scores are not showing your true abilities, your best bets are to either 1) get your skill base so much higher than L4 that a "poor" outing = 34+ or 2) find ways to handle the nerves/anxiety through meditation, breathing, music, etc.

The best way to succeed at future gymnastics is to have really strong base elements that you see in L4 and to have great strength all around (upper/lower body, core, etc). Everything in L5 and on builds upon L4.

Oh okay, thank you
I m too old to be at level 4, and I have all the skills. Was wondering if i could move up...
How old are you? There really is no "too old" for a level ... but if you have the skills and are old enough, your coach could use a video of your skills and petition for you to compete level 5 or 6.

How old are you? There really is no "too old" for a level ... but if you have the skills and are old enough, your coach could use a video of your skills and petition for you to compete level 5 or 6.
Im 15. I moved countries... in my old country, we used to train skills higher than the ones we do in level 4, except i couldnt train round off back handsprings or back tucks (just did on tumble trak) because of back/ankle injuries. So, i feel like level 4 isnt challenging me enough.

How do you petition?

If you are nervous at meets and your scores are not showing your true abilities, your best bets are to either 1) get your skill base so much higher than L4 that a "poor" outing = 34+
The thing is, at my gym, the gym owner is kind of involved with our coaching, and she doesn't allow us to uptrain.
The other coach, (who is the main coach) who does all the drills, spotting and corrections, would've liked to have us uptrain but because of the owner she couldn't have us do it.

The thing is, at my gym, the gym owner is kind of involved with our coaching, and she doesn't allow us to uptrain.
The other coach, (who is the main coach) who does all the drills, spotting and corrections, would've liked to have us uptrain but because of the owner she couldn't have us do it.
That doesn't sound like a great setup. Gymnastics is hard. Even more so when athlete, coach, and owner seem to have differing preferences. Are there any alternatives around?

With that said, it's going to be tough to compete above L4 without a good round off and all the skills that build off that.

That doesn't sound like a great setup. Gymnastics is hard. Even more so when athlete, coach, and owner seem to have differing preferences. Are there any alternatives around?

We're looking around!
With that said, it's going to be tough to compete above L4 without a good round off and all the skills that build off that.
I do think I have a great round off. And now good back handspring too. Just saying i couldnt train them a lot earlier cuz of back+ankle injuries, so now just bc of 1-2 skills they put me in L4 for months.

Im 15. I moved countries... in my old country, we used to train skills higher than the ones we do in level 4, except i couldnt train round off back handsprings or back tucks (just did on tumble trak) because of back/ankle injuries. So, i feel like level 4 isnt challenging me enough.

How do you petition?
I believe if you are over 12 (which you are) you can petition through USAG... we looked into it for my DD who is in Xcel. I would recommend Xcel if you don't want to petition. Not less competitive and not recreational. You would easily fit in in Xcel Gold.

I believe if you are over 12 (which you are) you can petition through USAG... we looked into it for my DD who is in Xcel. I would recommend Xcel if you don't want to petition. Not less competitive and not recreational. You would easily fit in in Xcel Gold.
Thank you!
As a matter of fact, we are indeed looking into xcel..
Are there states and regionals meets for xcel?
Also, this might be a misconception on my side, but do xcel gymnasts have worse form on skills than DP gymnasts?

(Might create a different thread for questions i have lol)

How do you petition?
Your coach would have to do that.
"Any gymnast who has had previous competitive experience other than USA Gymnastics but including USA Gymnastics Xcel athletes, and who is a minimum of 12 years of age is eligible to petition by submitting a formal written request to the SAC for entry into Level 7 and below. The petition must be accompanied by a video that demonstrates her skill level."
If you current gym offers it, you could also consider Xcel ... entry level for Xcel is Gold. You could petition into Platinum ... or compete 1 meet as a Gold and then move up.
Xcel Petition info: "Any gymnast who has had previous competitive experience in USA Gymnastics and who is a minimum of 14 years of age or at least a Freshman in High School is eligible to petition by submitting a formal written request to the State Administrative Committee for entry into Platinum or Diamond. The petition must be accompanied by a video that demonstrates her skill level.
Athletes (US citizens or Non-US Citizens) who have resided outside the US, have competitive experience outside the US, and now reside in the US, are eligible to petition by submitting a formal written request to the Regional Xcel Chairman for entry into the Xcel Program at Platinum or Diamond. The petition must be accompanied by a video that demonstrates the skill level for which she is submitting the petition and proof of residency outside the US."

Your coach would have to do that.
"Any gymnast who has had previous competitive experience other than USA Gymnastics but including USA Gymnastics Xcel athletes, and who is a minimum of 12 years of age is eligible to petition by submitting a formal written request to the SAC for entry into Level 7 and below. The petition must be accompanied by a video that demonstrates her skill level."
If you current gym offers it, you could also consider Xcel ... entry level for Xcel is Gold. You could petition into Platinum ... or compete 1 meet as a Gold and then move up.
Xcel Petition info: "Any gymnast who has had previous competitive experience in USA Gymnastics and who is a minimum of 14 years of age or at least a Freshman in High School is eligible to petition by submitting a formal written request to the State Administrative Committee for entry into Platinum or Diamond. The petition must be accompanied by a video that demonstrates her skill level.
Athletes (US citizens or Non-US Citizens) who have resided outside the US, have competitive experience outside the US, and now reside in the US, are eligible to petition by submitting a formal written request to the Regional Xcel Chairman for entry into the Xcel Program at Platinum or Diamond. The petition must be accompanied by a video that demonstrates the skill level for which she is submitting the petition and proof of residency outside the US."
This is very helpful! Thank you so much!

Thank you!
Also, this might be a misconception on my side, but do xcel gymnasts have worse form on skills than DP gymnasts?

Xcel does have state meets. Not sure about regional ones. My region does not but there has been discussions of starting one. You can check your region's website to see.

I do not think that Xcel gymnasts have worse form. Just like DP, it varies greatly from gym to gym on how they coach and run their program.

I just need to add you are really. It too old for Level 4. I have seen plenty of adults compete level 4, even people in their 50’s, 60’s, 70’s. The right LEVEL depends on your skills and experience not your age.

Thank you!

Yep, state and regionals for Xcel, I know in our region (r6) it is very hard to get to Xcel regionals. Top 10-20 per level end up going. And definitely not. Some Xcel girls actually end up have much nicer form then DP girls, and there's much more routine flexibility.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back