WAG Mobility Score Pre-requisite Level 5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnasticmomof2

Proud Parent
Gymnast has not met USAG minimum 34AA in level 4 yet they advance and compete level 5. What consequences are there if/when SAC or USAG identify this has happened?

If this is a question about your child, I'd check in with the coaches, they probably have a plan. If its someone else's kid, then I'd just MYOB, our gym does score out meets super informal during a regular practice time with a video judge. You wouldn't see any of these posted anywhere online, so the casual person looking up our girls scores would be confused why some girls went from level 4 to 7 etc, or from level 6 to 8. Even other parents of girls at the gym might not understand the process if their own kid hasn't had to participate in a score out.

If you're just genuinely curious what the consequences would be with no other reason to ask, then I'm not really sure, maybe someone else has insight into that.

What Oopski said.

We had girls this year score out at our mock meet. You won’t find their scores any where for public viewing but they were judged by 2 USAG judges

And seriously in the scheme of life and gymnastics it doesn’t really matter. They need to be able to perform the skills required at whatever level they are competing.

From everything I have read on here it would be really difficult to prove it but I think you can lose some rights/privileges with USAG in terms of sanctioned meets etc. What everyone above said is true many meets scores arent published and there are no databases as USAG to track what kids have competed what levels and gotten what scores so it is honestly a mostly an on your honor type of thing and if a kid is moved up and has the skills what does it matter and if they dont well then they arent going to do well at the next level anyway and will likely self select out of the sport.

Ok. Legit question here as I have a boy.

So, in MAG, there are no required scores. There are age minimums, and coaches can decide the levels based on the skills the gymnast has. Sometimes the gymnast has input.

What is the point of having a score requirement if there is no way to keep track of it? Why even have one? I have to admit that this is something on this WAG side that I have never understood. Plus, it would eliminate concerns like the OP has!

I think the idea is to show proficiency before moving on...for the girls side the prevailing sentiment is younger is better for bigger tricks so while there are age minimums for levels they are pretty low. The Scores are meant to ensure that they dont move on till they have good fundementals and are ready for the next level of tricks etc. For guys you want them to develop and get size and strength before bigger skills so letting them mature probably makes more sense (just guessing).

I think that if you have a requirement there should be a better way of making sure its met. That being said most gyms abide by it and as I stated above there isn't much point in lying about it because you will hit a brick wall in terms of skill development if you haven't taught strong fundamentals. The Minimum scores aren't typically THAT hard to get when it gets a bit nuts is when gyms have their own requirements that you have to get 3 37s before you move up that can be a bit much. My kid never scored high at the lower levels so I was glad the minimums weren't that high and she was always able to move on when she had the skills for the next level.

I thought that the scores were checked at the state level. I do a pretty low key place out meet every year, but I have never moved a kid up without the score. Also they upped the mobility score this year. Why would they bother if no one checks them?

I am sure that they check the scores that are turned in but if a kid registers as a level 6 or 7 for a meet I am not sure anyone goes in to see what scores they got at level 5. Meet directors arent checking the elgibility of every kid entered in a meet they are relying on gyms to follow the rules. I would even doubt the state meets are checked against a database...that would be a big ask of the gym hosting the state meet to verify all entrants. If someone filed a report and said X kid didnt receive the mobility score they would probably go in and try and determine if they did or not but who is going around reporting people? Most parents only have access to scores in mymeetscores etc and that is not all meets.

I only know from what I have read on here but there have been several people on here who say they know kids never tested out at a sacntioned meet and nothing every happened the kid just went on and competed at the level their gym entered them in meets at. It would be interesting if anyone on here ever hosted a meet/was a meet director especially for a State Meet if they do any kind of verifying of levels for kids...I would guess the answer is no though.

I know in my state that qualifying scores and level placement are verified for state meet by the State Board representatives for each level. I know this from first hand experience because we had some kids score out of level 5 at a sanctioned in-house meet and when the level rep tried to verify that the gymnasts were properly able to register for the level 6 state meet, they could not locate the information from the score-out meet. I can't remember exactly what went wrong, or where the information was supposed to be located, but the gym had to send in the meet sanction information and the official scores. The gymnasts had competed at level 6 all season without issue. It was only discovered during the state meet registration process.

My kid is no longer competing so I can fess up now that she went from Xcel Silver to Level 5. This was in 2015 or 2016 though so maybe it’s tracked more closely now. I know the other girl who did the same thing with mine is a senior now and still competing though. (We are in NC.)

I am sure that they check the scores that are turned in but if a kid registers as a level 6 or 7 for a meet I am not sure anyone goes in to see what scores they got at level 5. Meet directors arent checking the elgibility of every kid entered in a meet they are relying on gyms to follow the rules. I would even doubt the state meets are checked against a database...that would be a big ask of the gym hosting the state meet to verify all entrants. If someone filed a report and said X kid didnt receive the mobility score they would probably go in and try and determine if they did or not but who is going around reporting people? Most parents only have access to scores in mymeetscores etc and that is not all meets.

I only know from what I have read on here but there have been several people on here who say they know kids never tested out at a sacntioned meet and nothing every happened the kid just went on and competed at the level their gym entered them in meets at. It would be interesting if anyone on here ever hosted a meet/was a meet director especially for a State Meet if they do any kind of verifying of levels for kids...I would guess the answer is no though.
Oh they do check. If a gymnast competes at a level that they are not qualified to be at, the meet sanction can be negated for the entire meet. It’s a serious thing and should not be happening. They now have a program where USAG numbers are entered for meets and it checks that everyone is where they should be. But on a serious note, why would a coach move up a gymnast who doesn’t have the score? That can be dangerous. If they’re that good, attaining the proper scores would not be difficult. There’s a reason they have to meet required scores.

I only know from what I have read on here but there have been several people on here who say they know kids never tested out at a sanctioned meet and nothing every happened the kid just went on and competed at the level their gym entered them in meets at. It would be interesting if anyone on here ever hosted a meet/was a meet director especially for a State Meet if they do any kind of verifying of levels for kids...I would guess the answer is no though.
Lol, 6 or 7 years back, we had a girl come from another gym to ours.
She came in as a Level 6. At the first meet of the season, she was telling the other girls how excited she was for the first meet. They thought she meant first meet on our team or first meet at Level 6.
Turns out, it was her first meet EVER. She actually did very well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back