MOntreal to host World Cup in MArch 2009

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone know how far away the meet entrance is from the metro stop Cremaze? Or is it better to taxi it? Thanks!

Just to add, I often take a taxi from downtown with my kids, getting there is easy, but on Saturday night getting a taxi back downtown can be a nightmare, even if you book ahead. Last year I actually drove, but parking is iffy too.

There really is not a lot around the stadium, except houses, no hotels, restos etc. But the venue itself is nice and with the meet being on a podium it is easy to see everything going on.

Just changed my hotel to downtown Montreal- definitely want to experience more than just the competition! (Though the competition is the #1 reason to attend.) Its on 2045 Peel St- and that seems far to te venue according to he map you posted. Do you think our hotel is in a good location. Thanks so much in advance for all your help!

we have booked at the Sheraton in Laval - I had understood it was in the vicinity of the meet and I think most from our club are at one of the listed hotels... I had also originally thought we'd take the train but changed my mind when I saw how far the hotel was from the train station. do you think staying downtown would be just as easy re: getting to/from the meet?

We are staying downtown since this is our only team travel meet for the year and we want the girls to get to experience Montreal. If we stayed in Laval it would mean a longer trip to get into the city. We also didn't feel so comfortable driving in the snow, so taking a metro/taxi will be easier.

Just changed my hotel to downtown Montreal- definitely want to experience more than just the competition! (Though the competition is the #1 reason to attend.) Its on 2045 Peel St- and that seems far to te venue according to he map you posted. Do you think our hotel is in a good location. Thanks so much in advance for all your help!

Here is the public transit version of the map from the area of your hotel. You are on the same street as the metro station. You'd have to change at Sation Berri, but that is easy and cheap.

The location of your hotel is perfect for all the other stuff, I am staying 3 streets over. You are walking distance to great stores and restos. and also to Cresent Street known as party central full of bars and clubs etc. Mcuh better than Laval for a grown up trip. Your location also puts you smack in the middle of the underground city in montreal which allows you to wander under the city for miles in the warth!

THE MONTREAL HUB

You are staying at one of my fav hotels location wise, and the breakfast is great, go for the waffles.

A taxi to or from the meet is about $18 for three people, so if it's really cold it's not too bad, but the metro is very good here.

from: 2045 Rue Peel, Montréal, Communauté-Urbaine-de-Montréal, Quebec to: 1000 Avenue Émile-Journault, Montréal, QC (Complexe Sportif Claude Robillard) - Google Maps

we have booked at the Sheraton in Laval - I had understood it was in the vicinity of the meet and I think most from our club are at one of the listed hotels... I had also originally thought we'd take the train but changed my mind when I saw how far the hotel was from the train station. do you think staying downtown would be just as easy re: getting to/from the meet?

The Sheraton Laval option or the downtown option leave you about the same distance from the meet. There are no hotels anywhere close to the venue.

The Sheraton is a sold 3 star and has a nice pool, it is over the road from the huge mall Le Carrefour Laval and around the corner from an 18 screen movie theatre. There is a train station, but I have never attempted it. Laval is off the Island of Montreal and is a suburb. In the way that Missisauga is to TO, I assume you are from the GTA.

I think when your whole team is staying at one place it is harder to stay somewhere else as you lose the whole team dynamic and friends thing. But if you are all in different places you might consider something more downtown in a similar area to Gymch34, as that is where all the "stuff" is.

either way, you will be commuting to the meet, the difference is what you can do when not at the meet.

We are staying downtown since this is our only team travel meet for the year and we want the girls to get to experience Montreal. If we stayed in Laval it would mean a longer trip to get into the city. We also didn't feel so comfortable driving in the snow, so taking a metro/taxi will be easier.

The metro is easy, cheap and fun for the kids. Downtown is cool and funky and French. The underground city is neat and the old port is great to se

Though as I have said the travel is about the same from either place, but downtown the metro is easier.

Wrap up warmly though, it is Quebec after all.

Last edited:
tickets for event

Is there a website we could purchase tickets to this event or does anyone have information on how I can obtain tickets?

I would love to bring my little girl to watch this event, since we live in Montreal. I am surprised that all the local clubs do not advertise this event.

There will be tickets available from the Gymnix website closer to the date. Maybe in two weeks from now. It is surprising that is is not better advertises. All the gyms know about it as it is on the Quebec Gymnastique website. Usually you can buy a pass for the weekend. It may be a bit different this year as the meet will be bigger and have MAG and WAG.

It is a lot of fun, my girls 9 & 12 have been going for years and love the atmosphere and the gymnastics.

Does anymore know if this will be televised?
It would be amazing to actually get to watch in person, but that isn't happening so I guess I'll just have to stick with watching it on TV.

I hear Samantha Shapiro and Mattie Larson are going to be there.

I really doubt it, never had before and Canada is very poor at showing gym. Even nationals hardly get a look in. Sucks when we get to watch hockey just about every night, you'd thing the odd gym meet would be okay.

Had to cancel my plans to attend. One of my gymnasts need to attend a sectional meet to qualify to states.... not enough coaches to take 1 kid to a meet and still staff workouts, so my trip is off!:(
Bog, an update would be great. Cheer on Shapiro & Mattie Larson for me- they are my faves!

ok :(
I am so jealous you get to go Bog!!!!
Have a great time, and I'll be waiting for an update on how it went ;)

Hey bog I was looking at provincial results but they don't show the start value so I was just wondering if you knew the start scores for levels 2-5.
Thanks

Hey bog I was looking at provincial results but they don't show the start value so I was just wondering if you knew the start scores for levels 2-5.
Thanks

Here are the charts

http://www.gymnastique.qc.ca/doc/2008-2009/00001741_CPP Charts EN - FINAL AUG 08-09.pdf

You will see the start value depends on the skills the girls compete, so every routine has a different value. \usually in Quebec the start value is put on the front ofr the judges table whilst they are ding the score. \for P2 it could be anywhere from 2.5 to 3.9 depending, this would be added to the 10 for the E score.

Hope this helps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back