MOntreal to host World Cup in MArch 2009

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Montréal sera l'hôte d'une Coupe du Monde de gymnastique artistique

C'est avec plaisir que nous vous annonçons que Montréal recevra les participants d'une Coupe du Monde de gymnastique artistique en mars 2009. La Fédération Canadienne organisera ce prestigieux événement conjointement avec l'International Gymnix qui aura lieu la même fin de semaine.

Montreal will be hosting the world cup in conjunction with the Gymnix International weekend of March 7/8 2009. I can't wait, we always get to see some great gymnasts here, it is where we first saw Shawn and Bridget Sloan. But now with the world cup the potential to see some really great gym is increased.

We'll be booking our hotel and be preparing for a weekend on fun. Anyone else coming?

Maybe, its about an 8 hour drive for me..... I might meet some friend sthere for a fun weekend of gymnastics! Thanks for posting!

Charlo,

It's now on the Quebec gymnastics website, but I have known for a month or so from another website, I was just waitng for the exact dates.

It is also during the March break for our school ;), so we'll be able to see quite a bit of it.

Very exciting. I'll keep my eye out for the schedules and tickets.

I'd like to be there for all the WAG.

Thats awesome! I'd love to be able to go....although Montreal is quite COLD in March!!

Thats awesome! I'd love to be able to go....although Montreal is quite COLD in March!!
I don't think I could survive in a country that goes from -40C to 40C (-40F to 104). Though Conan O'Brien says that Montreal is the most beautiful city in North America. Sounds fun! :)

My friend (who speaks fluent French) called the gym recently. They will have the World Cup schedule information within the next few weeks, and they said they would email her. I can post any info she gets here! We are definitely going, already have our hotel (I think we got a good deal as its in Canadian $-lol!) and are so excited! Woo Hoo!

It would be great to have the schedule.

I want to book our room too, it is on the tail end of our March break so it will be easy to see the good sessions. Hoping the open up the venue a bit more than usual as it can be hard to get good seats.

I don't think I could survive in a country that goes from -40C to 40C (-40F to 104). Though Conan O'Brien says that Montreal is the most beautiful city in North America. Sounds fun! :)

Yikes! Didn't realize it was that cold up there. Well, maybe I should have...I have family about 2 hours south of Montreal and they have a lot of stories about freezing cold weather.

Montreal is a very cool city in the summertime though. They have underground shopping malls there! As for most beautiful...idk bout that (very tough to beat places like San Francisco or Vancouver) but its up there I'm sure.

Montreal is a very cool city in the summertime though. They have underground shopping malls there! As for most beautiful...idk bout that (very tough to beat places like San Francisco or Vancouver) but its up there I'm sure.

UNDERGROUND? That's so cool lol.

As for beautiful cities, clearly none of you have ever been to anywhere in Britain. JOKE.

Cynical.... Montreal is truly fantastic! Hahaha... and Conan O'Brien (he's great!) is always a valuable source of information...hahaha!!

I am definitely going to try to be there for the competition!

DD's travel meet this year is to Gymnix (provincial portion) we are very excited!! I understand competing athletes are able to come and go from the entire event, but (Bogwoppit? anybody else?) do we parents need to buy advance tickets for the world cup portion? and if seats are reserved but athletes can come in free, where will they sit?

also, does anybody know which international athletes are planning to attend?

Hey there, Nice that you'll be coming this way. Normally I wouldn't buy advance tickets, but it might be worth it this time as it is turning into a bigger meet. They are not on sale yet, I'll post when they are.

There is probably little reserved seating and it can be packed. I know they have put most of the provincial gymnasts in a different gym than the World Cup/Elite gymnasts so that should cut the squish a bit. The gymnasts can come and go with their passes and just have to squish in with the rest of us.

Are you staying in Montreal, as opposed to one of the recommended hotels which are not in Montreal but North in Laval?

The lists of athelets is not yet out, but expect to see a strong US team, Russia is usually there along with China and Australia, with it now being a world cup we should see even more teams than usual.

Maybe I'll see you there.

Hi,
I have booked the Radisson in Leval. Do you think that is a good hotel? Is it close to the meet site? Any inside info would be appreciated.

I have been checking the website but have not seen any new updates.
Thanks!

The Radisson in Laval is a great hotel, stayed there many times for meets, it has a a good resaurant in it. BUT, it is NOT in Montreal, it is in Laval which is a 15 minute car ride in no traffic. The only things around there are a huge, and awesome, shopping mall, a movie theatre. We have always been surprised that Gymnix gives rates for Laval hotels, when Montreal has great hotels downtown.

The venue is out of the way in the city for sure, so no matter where you stay it's a bit of a pain, but at least if you are downtown you have all the other city stuff to do.

I got my hotel room on hotwire, Le Cystal de montagne 4.5 stars for $106 a night. I love bidding on rooms and it is right down town. I cannot wait. It is also around the corner from my favourite Indian buffet resto!!!

So if you are just going for the meet and don't want to do much else the Radisson is fine, but if you are planning on doing other stuff it might be better to get something in the downtown core.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back