Parents More Letdown

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First, I want to say congrats to everyone competing at their State Meets. Best of luck to you all!!

As many of you know we had a rough season. Starting with Beetle losing her BHS on Beam at the beginning of the season. Then chasing our high State qualifing score (35.0) all year.

She ended the year on a high. A great final meet.

• 8.75 on Floor
  • 8.75 on Vault (highest vault score ever for her)
  • 8.15 on Bars (didnt hit her cast requirement).
  • And the Highest of High.. a 9.125 on Beam!
AA = 34.775

After that meet she was thrilled. She was so excited. And We were so happy for her. I was worried that she would be mad because she Just missed qualifier.. but she wasnt she was excited. Which was quite a relief! To leave a meet happy not angry!

Well, This weekend is our State Competition. DD's Gym has a send off each year for the girls who qualified for state. Beetle came home in tears. Just sobbing (some of this is 12 year old girl emotions). It is sooo hard to see her that way. she was crying because she said 'I wanted to be up there, representating my gym...' it is heartbreaking!

We spent and hour trying to talk her down from crying. Reminding her what a great end of year she had (she ended up with the highest AA score of all the L7's and L8's in our gym!) It is so hard for her to see those highlights... Hopefully in the next couple weeks she will be able to see the positive's of the year.

I dont really know why I am posting this post.. Probably more of a vent and a thanks for listening! Which is why this site is so great, I am sure many of you have been in this situation before!

Thanks for understanding!

She has so much to be proud of! Especially that nice beam score, after having lost her BHS:) It's obvious she is very dedicated & determined & must have worked very hard this season. Hopefully once all the hoopla about states is over, her own personal accomplishments will be more evident to her. Keep up the good work Beetle:)

My heart goes out to her(and you). She has worked hard and she has to remember not all that many girls in the US are in competitive gymnastics at L7. I'm sure if you both started thinking back to her 1st team, you'd find Beetle(love that nickname!!) is one of the few still competing.

Yes, in a couple of weeks the hoopla will die down---course, there will be the reminder when some girl walks in wearing a state t-shirt or whatever. Hopefully her teammates that go to states will consider Beetle's feelings(and others) when they come back.

Its good that she has set some goals to work on for the "off season." Sounds like she'll be highly motivated to soar as a L8.

BTW--When will you be at Lake Owen? My gymmie and pals will be there the session starting June 15.

What a great last meet for Beetle. I think it is very important that she was happy with the last meet even if she did not qualify for states. A lot of girls would not have been.

Sorry about the results of the send-off party. Hopefully your state will lower that insane qualifying score.

The qualifying score in your state is quite high and your DD should be proud of herself for coming close, even though it is heartbreaking for her (and you to see her so upset).

I think what is a little harder for her is that she does 'day practice' she trains Tuesday & Thursday during the day (Missing the last 2 hours of school...) Mondays & Friday she does 'night practice. Day Practice has 5 girls. Our Level 10, 2 L9's, one L8 and Beetle. They are a close knit group.. she is the only one who didnt make state. Deep down she understands.. but when you are 12.. it is hard to dig deep down....

We normally go to Owen the last weekend in June, but this year we are trying the last session. I think there are 8 from our gym going.

Thanks for the kind words! The nickname.. when she moved to optionals.. she was the littlest on the team.. her coach started calling her Beetle Bug.. Now he just calls her Beetle..

I dont really know why I am posting this post.. Probably more of a vent and a thanks for listening! Which is why this site is so great, I am sure many of you have been in this situation before!

Thanks for understanding!

I'm going to guess you're posting because we DO understand. Those of us who've stuck with this long enough to see a kid in optionals have plenty of experience with disappointment. And we know that she can come out the other side all the better. We've seen it in our own kids.

Dd2 spent 2 years at lvl 6 (she skipped 5, a mistake if you ask me). Her first level 6 year, she finished in last place (and I don't mean out of the medals, I mean LAST place) at almost every meet. She had a better second season, but she still got skunked at State. This year as a level 7, suddenly she's won AA twice and has broken the 37 barrier. Things could click and your Beetle could suddenly start cleaning up as a lvl 8 next year. Then, this will be nothing but a memory.

We understand stringent requirements, too. Our state isn't as big as yours and our meet can accommodate more girls, so the state qualifying score is lower, but qualifying to regionals takes a 36.5 at the state meet. This week we comfort you, but next week, you'll be comforting someone else (maybe me!)

Anyway, since we've all tried to give pep talks to little perfectionists who are down on themselves, we get it. Really, we do. Post away. Tell your dd she's great. We'll all tell you she's great, too.

Poor little one, there is nothing worse than having their dreams dashed like this. You're a great Mom, you really care about what she is going through, that is a great thing for her.

Really hard to know what to say, my oldest DD has been through this, it hurts them so much. Just to reassure them that they are the best to you and this does not mean that they are failing. Gymnastics is one very small piece of who they think they are at this young age.

I'll be thinking of Beetle this week, sending her some good thoughts.:):):) You know we all really do care.

Thank you!

You guys are great~

She is in much better spirits.. She had a great practice. Fixing her giants is 'tapping' in the right place.

She was standing up RO BHS 1 1/2 Twists on floor!

She learned she can do a Punch Front - Front Lay out on floor.

On beam she now has a prettier Switch leap than a straight leap, she is already hitting 180!

congrats to your daughter on her great last meet results:)
I am sorry she didn't get that magic 35 qualifying score:( She was so close.
I hope she is feeling better after that great practice she just had.
I am sorry you dd had to get sad and feel let down:( My daughter had one of those moments last year when the move up sheets were passed out and she didn't get invited to move up because she didn't get their magic 35 in the AA move up score:( She cried so hard after practice that her coach talked to us for 1/2 hour after practice. The next few weeks were hard but she accepted it and We went on to have a great season this year:) Tell her to keep her head up and start looking forward to next season:) She can do it:)

:)Just keep the focus on the positives and she'll be fine. All good mom's feel their child's pain, which doesn't make it any easier I know. Hang in there. She'll be a better person for all of this in the end. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back