WAG More lost sponsors for USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think the hardest will be on the kiddos that are working toward national teams, or elite type things. Without sponsors, those big meets are going to be difficult to run. They outfit the teams, etc. I feel like it will most affect kiddos from 9th grade- senior in college that are trying to make it. Who will sponsor championships? Qualifiers? Without sponsors, I fear the financial responsibilities could fall on families/gymnasts. But I am not 100% sure. This is just what we were talking about at the gym this morning.

I think the hardest will be on the kiddos that are working toward national teams, or elite type things. Without sponsors, those big meets are going to be difficult to run. They outfit the teams, etc. I feel like it will most affect kiddos from 9th grade- senior in college that are trying to make it. Who will sponsor championships? Qualifiers? Without sponsors, I fear the financial responsibilities could fall on families/gymnasts. But I am not 100% sure. This is just what we were talking about at the gym this morning.

It would be hard for families to continue if it cost any more money than it ready does!!

I'm surprised it's taken this long....and with USAG 's recent statement trying to dump any semblance of responsibility (which I understand was a legal maneuver), and that only Steve Penny has been removed, if I were a big sponsor, this certainly wouldn't pass the smell test for me either.

Sadly, money talks and if more sponsors continue to pull out, maybe the powers that be at USAG will get the drift that they need to clean house, period. Decertifying USAG might be what ends up happening down the road if they keep their heads in the sand..

Yes, this. I couldn't agree with this more. USAG needs to fully clean house and refocus all of its efforts and rebuild. They have to take some hits in the short term (i.e. loss of sponsors) to have a bright long-term future. The org MUST show it is serious and must prove that it wants to do a 180 in how it operates.

Gymnastics will be fine even without all the huge corp. sponsors. Gymnastics brings huge ratings on TV, is one of the key sports of the Olympics, and for other business reasons is needed by NBC and others. Too many make money off of gymnastics, so the sport and athletes will still get funding.

Some quick research shows where funding comes from - the US Olympic Committee. Based on past performance, and future performance potential there will be funding for gymnasts:
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2016-olympics-usoc-return-on-investment/

And, gymnastics can look to a sport that had its huge problems and issues a decade ago and has to rebuild. Gymnastics can learn some lessons from Track & Field. This article explains about the USOC: "For years, the USOC has used funding and other tactics to pressure national governing bodies into making changes it deems necessary. For instance, in 2008, the USOC essentially demanded USA Track and Field streamline its board of directors and said it would consider decertifying the federation if it did not comply." (remember, track and field in 2008 had huge doping issues)
http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/03/09/steve-penny-usa-gymnastics-usoc/

And after Track and Field hired a new director - someone who knew little about the sport but who could run a business and had a PR mind (sound familiar? Our new USAG knows little about our sport - which might be just fine) - track and field has really turned around:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...egel-marketing-genius-leading-usatf/85513150/
This is what the director says about Track and Field - I am thinking our new leader of USAG will need to do the same:
"He [Max Siegel of US Track and Field] wants to grow a fan base and a business, encourage sponsors and other stakeholders to join with him in building a brand, an exciting TV product, a passionate following."

Taking hits in the short term will pay off for USAG in the long term, if our new director can lead the org in the direction we need to go. I hope Kerry Perry can do so... I guess we all have our faith in her now.

Hi. Can you help me understand in what way the gymnasts will be punished? Initially, I was thinking that too, but then I can't quantify exactly how they would be penalized. Are you referring to the elite program or JO? I would like to know what USAG actually do for JO program. I am thinking they put on the regional and national meets, maybe some camps. They write the rules and codes too. But what services do you think would go away for the JO program ?

Thanks.

This is my question, I know I personally have never received a check or benefit from the USAG - I used to think they did things like make sure coaches were qualified, weren’t child molesters and that gyms were safe - but sounds like they feel none of that stuff was their responsibility. I guess maybe they make sure kids who don’t have the required skills can’t compete levels they shouldn’t, but is that really worth $55 a year?

I’m sure it will be Under Armour out and Ozone in. It would make a bigger statement to me if some of these companies would do something about helping young girls have a voice and stick up for themselves. All they re doing is pulling a sponsorship where another company would gladly fill.

All they re doing is pulling a sponsorship where another company would gladly fill.

I don't know that sponsors are going to rush and fill those spots. I hope the loss of Under Armor several years early sends a message that more change needs to happen at the highest level. We'll see if anyone sponsors nationals and classics next year. They still have relationships with GK and AT&T.

What have USAG come out and said to parents publicly about keeping their kids safer in the gym, and at the ranch? Have they sent emails? Have they put out social media posts?

Moving forward they say they will adopt safe sport, but will they communicate this to the parents, or only to club owners who have no real interest in sticking to all the rules, just the convenient ones.

USAG needs to step up it's communication game. Notify parents of everything they legally can.

They also need to let parents know what they should expect in their own club, and who to report to nationally if this is not the case. You do not build trust with silence.

Nothing will change in clubs if owners know the parents are clueless about the "regulations", I see lots of playing dumb and coaches still travelling alone with their gymnasts etc.

USAG deserves to loose sponsorship until they really address the actual issue, that is systemic ignorance of the issues at heart. Had safe sport been actually followed for years, most of these abuses could not have occurred. Safe sport policies have been used in many modern countries for years and years.

In terms of the day-to-day lives of most JO gymnasts, sponsors don't matter that much. The hit is hardest at the top, which has an impact downstream eventually. The elite men's program has depended on Hilton for years to support the athletes who train at the OTC. That program has been home to many of the men who represent the US in international competition: Chris Brooks, Sam Mikulak, Jake Dalton, Alex Naddour, Donnell Whittenburg, Brandon Wynn, and more. Not all of these guys have enough family wealth to support being full-time elite athletes. That whole program is probably the most direct collateral damage from all of this.

I hope USAG's new leadership understands that a full house cleaning is necessary, and that the results must be highly visible. Cosmetic and quick won't do to restore the lost trust in the organization. Figuring out what they need to do to settle these suits would be a good start.

What have USAG come out and said to parents publicly about keeping their kids safer in the gym, and at the ranch? Have they sent emails? Have they put out social media posts?

Moving forward they say they will adopt safe sport, but will they communicate this to the parents, or only to club owners who have no real interest in sticking to all the rules, just the convenient ones.

USAG needs to step up it's communication game. Notify parents of everything they legally can.

They also need to let parents know what they should expect in their own club, and who to report to nationally if this is not the case. You do not build trust with silence.

Nothing will change in clubs if owners know the parents are clueless about the "regulations", I see lots of playing dumb and coaches still travelling alone with their gymnasts etc.

They have sent emails to parents about SafeSport. I feel like I hear from them weekly or so now (every other week maybe.) But many parents are choosing to stick their heads in the sand and ignore what is going on....as are many clubs.

Our gym is very strict on these things. No coaches alone wtih kids ever. No social media contact, no texting or email without parental involvement. No babysitting kids.

I hope other gyms step up their games, or parents force the issue. The people ignoring the situation are not going to help at all.

I imagine this is why no elite nationals for 2018 has been announced yet (even though National Congress Location has been announced...).

We have gotten multiple communications from USAG on the SafeSport program. I have a hard time reading them all though, because of the anger and distrust that still exists for me. The emails are extremely verbose too, so a commitment to read and I’m sure many won’t. That being said, our gym has taken it seriously and modified the team handbook and such to account for the new policies. Gym sent a better and more specific communication on the specifics of the rules.

USAG deserves to loose sponsorship until they really address the actual issue, that is systemic ignorance of the issues at heart. Had safe sport been actually followed for years, most of these abuses could not have occurred. Safe sport policies have been used in many modern countries for years and years.
They make you take a safe sport course, which manically cures everything, didn't you hear?!? ;)

They make you take a safe sport course, which manically cures everything, didn't you hear?!? ;)

Doesn't fix everything, but is a step. Maybe coaches will learn WHY they should not drive kids to meets, or travel alone with kids. Maybe parents should have to take the parent course to get the USAG number. Education is a good first step, but then things have to keep moving along from there.

I have heard so many parents whose coaches have offered to take their kids to meets, and have indicated that it is THEIR child, THEIR choice. No understanding or awareness, or jsut ignoring, what is happening with all of this. It scares me at times.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back