MAG more optional confusion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I can answer one of your questions: yes, younger JD has the pommel-less horse. It's one of the things our coach does not like about JD, because it's hard to put together a good routine with no pommels for guys who are newer to gym.

I was at the the first unveiling in Michigan. They said something to the effect of the younger JD being pommel-less, but I haven't seen it in writing.

I wish they would give the coach the choice. I will use JD for older kids that really can't put together JO routines. I also might use it for a kid that I'm more focused on just getting through this competition season to prepare for level 8 or 9 the following year... so depending on his age I might want the pommels on or off.

Reactions: sce
As of right now, there is no criteria or pre-qualifying in order to compete 11yo JE L8. In theory, you could compete as a JE L8 all season, and then drop back to L7 at the State Championship. Because of this current "loophole" I expect restrictions will be added, i.e. qualify to FS nationals as an 11yo. Stay tuned for the first update :)

January 1st age? It has been proposed before. FIG is actually a Dec 31 date (looking backward) Highly unlikely this will happen. FIG meets happen in the fall while Junior meets are primarily in the winter/spring. This would put our juniors in the position of competing significantly below their actual age. And imagine FS and early season meets which actually occur in the previous calendar year. Not an impossible scenario, but would entail a serious re-vamp of our 16-18yo system (at least on the JE side)

KRC

Saw this, this morning..... https://usagym.org/PDFs/Men/MemUpdates/agcpupdate1_1620.pdf
It's a lengthy read, but it did say near the beginning....
"*Competitive age 11 athletes may compete Level 8 optional but must compete Technical Sequences at
their State Championship and attempt to qualify to Regionals and Nationals in the Junior Elite Division"

So no FS requirements then?

Those are some nice clarifications. So glad they changed the Level 8 Developmental requirements to special requirements. That was confusing before.

Interesting read! Thanks for sharing :)

We compete in and out of age in MAG and RG here (Australia) with a Decenber 31 cut off.
So it's turning that age in the calendar year.
(Eg for mag level 6 is in age at under 11. RG level 7 in age can only be competed as turning 10 or 11 that year. )

Our competition season runs Jan onwards (sort of Jan to April for seniors (lvl 7 plus) and April-August to June- October for juniors (staggered across the months over all the gym sports and levels in wag) so not sure how it would work with the season running over Decenber/Jan .

Only happened once to us (dd2 and team mates competed up a level in November - caused major confusion to the kids as no one told them they would be in different age groups (set age groups at the time junior/intermediate/senior with set ages).

Saw this, this morning..... https://usagym.org/PDFs/Men/MemUpdates/agcpupdate1_1620.pdf
It's a lengthy read, but it did say near the beginning....
"*Competitive age 11 athletes may compete Level 8 optional but must compete Technical Sequences at
their State Championship and attempt to qualify to Regionals and Nationals in the Junior Elite Division"

So no FS requirements then?

So I'm assuming the Rules and Policies posted on 8/19 over take what I said above?
https://usagym.org/PDFs/Men/Rules/Rules and Policies/2016/iv_joprogram.pdf

Now says there is an 11 year old Level 8 JO division, but highest advancement is Regionals. Makes a ton of sense to start optionals instead of doing another year of Level 7..........right?

So I'm assuming the Rules and Policies posted on 8/19 over take what I said above?
https://usagym.org/PDFs/Men/Rules/Rules and Policies/2016/iv_joprogram.pdf

Now says there is an 11 year old Level 8 JO division, but highest advancement is Regionals. Makes a ton of sense to start optionals instead of doing another year of Level 7..........right?

I think it was just too confusing for everyone to have it set up so that the only way to do L8 at age 11 was if the plan was to shoot for nationals/JE. So it looks like 11 year olds can do L8 without any fuss and bother about it, but the only way they can get to nationals is if they go JE. It provides a step up from L7 for guys who are ready for L8 but not necessarily ready to score a high enough AA plus good enough scores on the tech sequences to worry about nationals. This is a sensible modification, especially for guys who'd have been looking at a hard choice between a third year of L7 or navigating some process to be able to compete L8.

And it also looks like JD no longer has the L8/L9 and L10 designations. It's just one age group for 12-14 and another for 15-18. I wonder if the next update will clarify that for JD athletes as well as for JO/JE, they can continue competing JD if they turn 19 during their senior year?

Reactions: sce
So I am wondering if anyone knows if all USAG sanctioned meets will have JD divisions, or will it be dependent upon the meet? We are trying to let the coaches know which meets the boys will attend, but in our tiny region, there are often only a handful of optionals at some meets - so its unclear if there will be any JD kids. My oldest is required to do JD or level 10 due to his bad roll of the birthday dice, and won't know for a while if he can manage some L10 events, but also doesn't want to go to meets as JD if there are no other JD kids. (His friend has said he'll just drop back to L7 if he can't get L10...after being state champion L8 last year...I'm pretty sure we don't have a good handle on how this is all supposed to go....)

I am trying to understand how it will all work....

And it also looks like JD no longer has the L8/L9 and L10 designations. It's just one age group for 12-14 and another for 15-18. I wonder if the next update will clarify that for JD athletes as well as for JO/JE, they can continue competing JD if they turn 19 during their senior year?
I know that 19 year old seniors in high school can compete in JO at least... Or something like that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back