Coaches More strength!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DTAG

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
I recently started coaching rec gymnastics for boys. I absolutely love it and love learning the sport. I do not have a background in gymnastics other than my son who is a gymnast. I am older (just turned 42) and not as fit/strong as when I was in the service a few years back.

Spotting and picking up smaller kids isn’t a problem, but some of the rec kids started later and are a bit older/bigger. Not going to lie, I am struggling a bit. Can you recommend certain exercises I can do that will benefit me especially my upper body to be able to spot and pick these kids up in rings and high bar repeatedly?

I want to do right by them and not feel so exhausted after a short hour long class. Thanks for any advice! We do have a pull-up bar at home which I can work on doing pull-ups myself if it will help.

Keeping as fit and healthy as you can will help, also keeping hydrated. You will build up strength and stamina as you coach more.
For the older boys instead of spotting and lifting try to set up stations that they can do or get to on their own, you don't need to do all the work for them.
Good on you for getting started, good luck with your coaching journey.

If you have access to a gym with barbells I would think compound movements like Power Cleans & Push Press would develop strength in the appropriate muscle groups.

Work smarter, not harder. Use mats and blocks so that the kids can get on the equipment or attempt the skill themselves. I always tell me gymnasts that if if it takes more muscle for me to help them do the skill than it would take for me to do the skill myself then they aren’t ready for it yet.

Keeping as fit and healthy as you can will help, also keeping hydrated. You will build up strength and stamina as you coach more.
For the older boys instead of spotting and lifting try to set up stations that they can do or get to on their own, you don't need to do all the work for them.
Good on you for getting started, good luck with your coaching journey.
Thanks! I’ve looked some drills up as well that looks like it will help. I’ve definitely been using more mats too.

Thank you I appreciate it! I’ve fallen in love with the sport ever since my son started a few years ago. I’ve also taken the judges course so I can hopefully start judging this season as well. I love the challenge for sure!

Reactions: rd7
If you have access to a gym with barbells I would think compound movements like Power Cleans & Push Press would develop strength in the appropriate muscle groups.
Thanks! I do have a membership that I’ve been paying on for years, that just sits and collects dust. Whoops. This is a good reason to actually get in there and put in the work. These are great suggestions, I appreciate it.

Work smarter, not harder. Use mats and blocks so that the kids can get on the equipment or attempt the skill themselves. I always tell me gymnasts that if if it takes more muscle for me to help them do the skill than it would take for me to do the skill myself then they aren’t ready for it yet.
I have started implementing more blocks and mats this week. I’ve noticed that some kids lack a lot of upper body so even a pull-up is hard. If I help them up, they struggle with holding a chin up. So then we try a “low hang” with a tuck. And that proves to be difficult. I do feel like I am doing the majority of it as they physically can’t. Perhaps also more strength training on the floor for them. Or maybe I can put a mat under the bar they can rest their feet on while they attempt a pull-up? I feel bad because other gymnasts in their group breeze through it, and I can work on pullovers with them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back