Parents Most Common Gymnastics Injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How many times has your athlete(s) been out with an injury for 1 month or more?

• 5+

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have only had a single injury that kept me out: lower back pain in walkovers, bridges, front aerials, but somehow not handpsrings. I had it for 8 months, but didn't miss a session. I just couldn't do a lot of the skills I has to do. Needed physio. This was about 2 years ago.

My kid has suffered through gymnast wrist and now Osgood-Schlatter, which she works through with heavy reliance on KT tape, ice, Advil, and spottily following the advice of her physical therapist (one of which was, wear sturdy shoes..not the crocs she prefers). But I've also noticed in our gym that a lot of our gymnasts suffer their injuries while outside the gym... with perfectly stupid accidents like twisting their ankle walking across their bedroom, or stubbing their toes while walking down the street. These are the same kids who do amazing things on a 4 inch wide wooden log. My kid is incredibly clumsy outside gym. I've decided there's a hand-eye coordination quota that gets used up at the gym.

But I've also noticed in our gym that a lot of our gymnasts suffer their injuries while outside the gym... with perfectly stupid accidents like twisting their ankle walking across their bedroom, or stubbing their toes while walking down the street. These are the same kids who do amazing things on a 4 inch wide wooden log. My kid is incredibly clumsy outside gym. I've decided there's a hand-eye coordination quota that gets used up at the gym.
This is just so incredibly true!! So many gymnasts are like this! I can barely walk outside of gym! Tripping over nothing, falling down the stairs, slipping on a 'stick' (who knows what it really was), so many gymnasts!!!!! One of my sister's favourite stories is when I was in Level 5, and was doing front tucks down the tumble track, beautifully. I stepped off, started walking back to the line, and promptly managed to trip over my own feet. Can flip aged 10, cannot walk for the life of me. Anyone else/s gymnast like this?

Tell us about your athlete's struggle with injuries.​

Younger DD has had one injury (insert knock on wood, cross fingers, don’t jinx her here!) She fractured one side of a vertebrae when she was 9. It was a fluke. She was out for 3 months..of everything, couldn’t do anything that could even possibly jar it. Then PT to build back slowly for a couple more months. She is now a 7th grader and just finished her first season of level 9. She still will have flare ups but I firmly believe this is partially due to her anatomy, she has not great thoracic mobility and is just on general a very tight kid. She has to spend extra time stretching, not naturally flexible at all! She avoids almost entirely back walk overs and front walkovers. When the team has to do them for basics she is assigned very few to do to avoid issues.

Older DD (retired gymnast at 13 lvl 9, 18 now) broken foot, 2 broken fingers, “severe bone bruise” to elbow (can’t straighten arm fully to this day) Hip and lower back issues likely caused by natural hyper mobility (apparently she got her sisters portion of flexibility as well as her own )

My daughter fractured her elbow when she was on preteam. Her doctor allowed her to still go to practice with the cast on so she was able to stay connected to her group and still do some stuff.

I’m only counting more then a month, ankle, back, elbow

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back