Move up or repeat

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter broke her upper humerus falling from high bar beginning of December/19. Had a difficult recovery with motion limitation and was barely back to gym for conditioning at the end of February. Then gym closed 2nd week of March. She was already going to repeat because of missing so much and not being able to compete out, his just made her feel more OK with that as she was a little bummed originally. Now there is possibility of a few of her team mates also repeating.

Good news is she has been back at gym a couple weeks (her gym had appointment based gymnastics training with very limited amount of girls in the gym since May 1) and she is already getting most of her current skills back. She is struggling most on floor because she has tumbled since December and her arm still doesn’t lift completely straight up and won’t for probably a few more months.I feel like most of these girls will get back to their current level skills pretty quickly and be able to up train from there. Next season may just not be as pretty fine tuned as the girls are used to being by comp season, but I would think many will have opportunity to level up if they work hard.

My daughter is really hoping to move up, but there is so much unknown right now, considering our area isn't even at Stage 1 for reopening. She had a killer season and was well on her way to the next level. We haven't received level groupings. If they were sent out in March, she'd more than likely been on the move up list. Now, it's anyone's guess, but I know she will be disappointed if she doesn't move up.

Our highest levels right now are 6/7. Three days in and I'm surprised how quickly they're bouncing back. The skills are still there, it's just getting used to doing scary things again. Most of them did at least some regular conditioning - the ones that did nothing have definitely lost some strength, but I'm sure it will come back quick now they're in the gym.

The biggest regression I see is in the skills that were hard for them or they barely had. I expect my daughter to have to completely re-learn her clear hip, but everything else I think will be OK in short order. She was planning to go Platinum->Lvl. 6 which is more of a sidestep than a jump and I think she can probably do it, if she goes after bars pretty hard.

DD17 and I were talking about this thread, and she started wondering how many girls would, instead of moving up or repeating, transfer over to Xcel for a year or more (if competitions are happening, that is) Hmmm.

DD17 and I were talking about this thread, and she started wondering how many girls would, instead of moving up or repeating, transfer over to Xcel for a year or more (if competitions are happening, that is) Hmmm.
I think that's a possibility. The whole division might get a boost from girls who decide they want to come back but not live in the gym anymore or girls who have fears set in after time off.

I can see paths for single-year bumps in Gold and Diamond who train JO hours and compete Xcel one season. In gyms that move from 4 to 6, Xcel Gold would be a way for these gymnasts to get their own routines without having to also step up the skill difficulty after time off, but allowing for midseason upgrades when they're ready. There might also be an increase in Diamond numbers for girls who would have moved from level 7 to level 8 to allow for upgrades when they're ready instead of requiring them. I'm not sure if the other levels will jump much, just because I don't think I'd go Compulsory -> Bronze/Silver -> Compulsory and Platinum is so similar to 6, I wouldn't switch my gymnasts' streams for it. YMMV.

I don’t know how USAG will handle it, but I suspect gymnastics in my State in Australia will allow some flexibility in move ups, I think they may allow coaches to choose to move kids up even if they have not achieved the minimum move up score at a competition since pretty much all comps were cancelled. Our Junior comp season usually starts in May and runs from May to September, so most of those Level 6 and under will not compete this year. Our Senior girls (Level 7-10) usually have their main comps from March to May, so some got one comp in before it all fell apart.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back