Parents Move Ups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Are you at a Y or private club? We were at a Y and moved to a private club this week. Both gyms use the preteam as a feed to team. Not all girls move at the same pace, but the expectation is that preteam will lead to team. The preteam is considered "team".

Are you at a Y or private club?
She's at at Y. I agree that the pre-team feeds the team. The difference is that when I spoke to the coach I inferred that many of the kids on pre-team don't even get invited to try out for team. (I know not all of them do but I don't know %). My dd got a last minute invite because she's on the bubble. But I was also told that there are advanced rec, IGC copper, and kids from other gyms all trying out - basically lots of girls and not lots of spots. I've inferred that they are all trying out for JO3 but I've started to wonder if this evaluation is not just for JO3 but it's for anyone that's not on team. Then it doesn't make sense that she almost wasn't invited. :confused::confused:

I hope everyone realizes that I think the only think wrong here is the lack of communication.

I’m the OP. I’ve got a small update. Today my dd had her evaluation. She was excited and a little nervous. I mentioned above that she was on the bubble for being invited to be evaluated (pre-team to team). When she found that out it seemed to lite a fire under her. As hard as she had been working she turned it up a few notches the last month.

She does not have all the skills she needs for level 3 but she came out of the evaluation proud of herself and feeling like she did everything she could do.
The only thing she was frustrated with herself for not getting her correct beam dismount.

In Jan she fell off the beam and broke her elbow. Since she returned she has avoided the beam she fell from. During practices it hasn’t been an issue, coach would just tell her to go to a different beam. Today when she was asked to use a different beam they weren’t sympathetic. She was very nervous to go back on that beam for the first time since her accident. She was happy with how she did except she said that she did not get her correct dismount. She didn’t blame anyone but herself.

We weren’t given any info other than being told that no one was allowed to stay in the gym area during the evaluations.

Based on other parent chatter the options are:
2 – pre-team non-compete (again)
2- team compete (They did not have this last year)
3- team compete
IGC Copper.

I really don't know what the outcome is going to be but I’m really proud of her no matter what happens. This sport really brings out the best in her.

Did they say when you will find out?
When my dd came out of the evaluation she said that they had told her 1-2 weeks. When my dw picked her up from class yesterday they told her that we probably won't know until around the end of the month.

I was told approx 20 girls tried out for competitive team (including my dd). After they were done there was another large group of girls trying out for non-competitive invite-only levels.

I can't help but wonder what gym your DD attends. A few years ago we attended an IGC team meet in Long Island, it was a very good experience for DD when she was 8.

End of the month is a bit over 2 weeks. And in NY it coincides with school letting out and gyms summer schedules starting. That sounds about right.

End of the month is a bit over 2 weeks. And in NY it coincides with school letting out and gyms summer schedules starting. That sounds about right.
Such a late school year....my kids' last day is June 22. With Puma being a teacher, my life is sooooo much easier in the summer!

Her last gymnastics class is Jun 16. I was hoping we would find out by then. Either way, they don't start training again until Sept (not sure exactly when). So I guess technically it doesn't matter (but, It's really hard not knowing).

The biggest mystery to me is that as far as I know (from CB) this is the only gym that doesn't start training new level 3 girls until school starts (other than strongly recommending a minimum of 3 weeks of gymnastics camp) .

Her last gymnastics class is Jun 16. I was hoping we would find out by then. Either way, they don't start training again until Sept (not sure exactly when). So I guess technically it doesn't matter (but, It's really hard not knowing).

The biggest mystery to me is that as far as I know (from CB) this is the only gym that doesn't start training new level 3 girls until school starts (other than strongly recommending a minimum of 3 weeks of gymnastics camp) .

Say what?? No summer training? I've never herd of that. If you haven't been looking at alternative gyms I'd start right now. Doesn't the NY season start in October? Unless she's a phenom, how could she possible be ready? Level 3 was the hardest for my dd. Learning routines for the first time, cleaning up skills. It was all new and nerve wrecking. I would want to make sure my dd was well prepared.

If you haven't been looking at alternative gyms I'd start right now.
My dd is already signed up for 2 weeks of IGC camp. She's also planning on going to 4 weeks of her gyms summer clinics. That would leave her with just approx the last month of summer of no gymnastics. (They don't offer the clinics).
Maybe she can do one private a week to get through the summer? Maybe other gyms have clinics? I am worried about too many clinics b/c they are most of the day 5 days in a row and at level 2 she's only been going 4 hours per week.

It seemed like they want the level 2 girls to have all (or most) of the level 3 skills before putting them on team. This might be a moot point since I don't know yet if she's made the team. (JO 3 or IGC Copper). I'm just trying to sort this all out and I'm finding that I'm not alone in being very confused.

@Deleted member 18037 -isn't this how you guys do it too? This camp thing in the summer? It must be a downstate NY thing. Here they just train all summer like normal, but usually with a different schedule that includes some daytime hours and often more hours. Every gym around here takes a little time off in the beginning and the end of summer, but trains like normal the other 8 weeks in the middle. It is considered ok if the family takes a vacation or misses some days though. It's always so interesting how different gyms do things!

@NY Dad - It sounds like your gym has a very different philosophy than many others. If you are happy with the light schedule in the summer and like the program - I hope the evaluation results work out the way you want.

If you want your daughter in a competitive gym environment - I would urge you to look at other gyms in your area. Not practicing over the summer could make it very difficult for the girls to get and polish the skills they need to compete Level 3 (and beyond). I don't know if you have already researched the other gyms in your area...but checking out mymeetscores might give you some insight into how well your gym does in comparison to other gyms in the area. Checking out mymeetscores also can give you an idea of how well some gyms do in general in their different levels. It can help differentiate between good compulsory gyms v. good optionals gyms v. 'strong across the board' gyms.

Realize also that each gym chooses what individual meets they will go to, so personal research can be essential in being able to measure your gym objectively. I cannot tell you how many conversations I have overheard from parents of smaller/less competitive gyms being shocked by the level of competition they see (often times for the first time) at compulsory State meets I've been to. If your gym goes to very small invitationals all year, you might be surprised by the level of gymnastics available.

Best wishes to your daughter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back