Moving (as in, our home, not gym!), gymnastics, and gyms in SE Wisconsin.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, we live in SE Wisconsin. DD is currently in a preteam program at a middle-ish pack gym. We have a few L10 girls and more than half went to nationals, to give you an idea. She has been reasonably happy there, though we've had good months and bad months.

We are moving a bit further north in the next few months, to the Hartford area. The commute to our current gym is definitely do-able, and to be honest I know I'm lucky that it's a relatively small increase. Anyway - this isn't the problem. The problem is that if we switch DD to the new school district, her new school will get out so late that, combined with the commute, result in no real way for her to be successful in the program. For her current 2 hour class, she'll be nearly a half an hour late, every time it meets.

We've considered open enrollment, private schools, etc. Though I admit it seems a little silly to enroll her in a school for the specific purpose of being able to let DD continue in gymnastics. (What if she quits?!?). Though it isn't just her - her younger brother loves gym, too, and eventually would like to compete like his big sister will (God-willing).

So, are there any other decent team/pre-team programs out there that are truly worth checking into that may be workable? I know there's North Shore, the YMCA in West Bend, and whelp? That pretty much is it as far as gyms further north that I know of. I know the YMCA girls usually end up at our gym, and I'll refrain from any opinion on North Shore as all I know about it is all rumor anyway.

DD definitely has elite dreams, though I remain pretty well grounded here (she has never even competed yet! She just thinks they look "cool" and wants to learn to do what they do.)... Though that said, I would like at least a middle-pack program that would at least leave open the option of it maybe, possibly happening someday, if the stars aligned perfectly (and I won the lottery, and we had a real elite gym nearby (other than M&M), and, and, and....!).

Our gym now has had a lot of big coaching/administrative changes in the past 6 or so months that make me very nervous, but haven't necessarily been a problem. Unless you could that I have had a couple of odd dreams of the gym closing, etc. Again, it seems "fine", just different, really. I'd certainly consider switching gyms to keep DD in the sport, as that would actually be preferable to switching schools for both kids. The new district is absolutely wonderful and I'd hate to pay private school tuition when the public program is so great and community-focused.

That said, am I missing any other real gym options? Am I over-thinking all of this? Are any of you familiar with WI gyms and have opinions on the gyms that are "closer" to Hartford? So, feel free to reply here if you have anything to add, or PM me! I'd feel more free to discuss specifics in PM, I think!

Thanks!

Hi, I just happened upon your post and I know nothing about Wisconsin, but did find USAG Region 4 has a current (as of 2/2011) listing of Wisconsin Clubs. Here's the link - maybe it will help: Clubs

If we were in this situation, school would be the priority, not gym. Education always should come first. Good luck with the move!

I live in the Milwaukee area so I know of a few USAG member gyms---as far as Hartford (I know that's kind of far from a lot of gyms) but have you tried LaFleur's in Germantown? That seems like it might be closest to where you live? Otherwise there is a Midwest Twisters location in Hartland too...which, of course, would be a bit of a ways but those are the ones I can think of! Good luck:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back