Parents Moving from rec to competitive gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm a newbie as my daughter has been in gymnastics for a little under 1 year. She is 6 and is progressing well in her rec group. She trains 6 hours a week right now. A good friend and gym mom encouraged us to move her to the competitive group early on since she will be able to work a lot more on her skills and progress faster. I talked to her coach and they are planning on sending her an invite for the audition coming up soon. Is this too fast? She absolutely loves gymnastics, but I already find 6 hours to be a lot to handle for her (but she is doing fine and not complaining!). I never have been in a competitive sport when I was young, but I wish I had.. The competitive group trains 9 hours a week at her level. On the nights that she doesn't go to the gym, she is doing cartwheels and handstands on the living room floor!

Would it be wise to wait 1 more year and let her keep progressing in rec to see if she is ready for the switch? Or do you recommend switching her early on in your experience?

Thanks for the advice!

I'm a newbie as my daughter has been in gymnastics for a little under 1 year. She is 6 and is progressing well in her rec group. She trains 6 hours a week right now. A good friend and gym mom encouraged us to move her to the competitive group early on since she will be able to work a lot more on her skills and progress faster. I talked to her coach and they are planning on sending her an invite for the audition coming up soon. Is this too fast? She absolutely loves gymnastics, but I already find 6 hours to be a lot to handle for her (but she is doing fine and not complaining!). I never have been in a competitive sport when I was young, but I wish I had.. The competitive group trains 9 hours a week at her level. On the nights that she doesn't go to the gym, she is doing cartwheels and handstands on the living room floor!

Would it be wise to wait 1 more year and let her keep progressing in rec to see if she is ready for the switch? Or do you recommend switching her early on in your experience?

Thanks for the advice!
I am not a parent but I do competitive gymnastics and I train 12 hours a week. I started when I was 6 and I loved it!! Although once I got older I didn’t like it as much as all my friends were hanging out and I couldn’t go cause I had gymnastics. Also I started getting more homework and Trying to squeeze in a night of gymnastics and an hour of homework + dinner was super stressful. I love it now as I learned to manage my time better and I made amazing friends along my gymnastics life. I would honestly put her in and if she doesn’t like it then you can always take her out

It doesn't hurt to try! I think my gym only trained recs 1 hour, preteam 2 and Level 1 three, I'm shocked about 6 hours a week for such a little one.

It doesn't hurt to try! I think my gym only trained recs 1 hour, preteam 2 and Level 1 three, I'm shocked about 6 hours a week for such a little one.
I live in Canada, so in rec she is doing the cangym levels on the weekend. She is in another group during the week meant to help them progress faster through the levels. If she switches, workouts are 3 hours per session instead of 2.

9hrs for a 6yr old old seems excessive to me but then again 6hrs of rec also seems excessive so maybe it's just that gym. I would be concerned about the future years. Do the hours go up every year? What level would she be this coming year?

My 6yo (UK) is on squad and does 6 hours - 9hrs is the next step up here for the year she turns 8 (next year for us). I think she would very happily do 9 hours now though!

I live in Canada, so in rec she is doing the cangym levels on the weekend. She is in another group during the week meant to help them progress faster through the levels. If she switches, workouts are 3 hours per session instead of 2.
I also want to back to my gymnastics life. I love it now as I learned to manage my time better and I made amazing friends along with my gymnastics life.

9hrs for a 6yr old old seems excessive to me but then again 6hrs of rec also seems excessive so maybe it's just that gym. I would be concerned about the future years. Do the hours go up every year? What level would she be this coming year?
I don't know in terms of levels where she is at since they evaluate her with the Cangym levels right now. She can do some of the level 3 requirements, most of level 2, but it's hard for me to juge as we can't attend sessions since COVID. I will ask her coach, and it's a good idea to ask about the progression of hours. It is the only gym in our city though. I feel that she isn't progressing as much in her weekend class since most of the children there do only 1 class a week in rec. If she doesn't join the competitive group, we will probably drop that one.
Thanks for the input :)

What I learned from my early years competing is that in some gyms, you have to push to get on team. Just because they don't invite you doesn't mean they don't want you. I did recreational classes and had cartwheels and handstands for 2 years before I was even moved to the pre-competitive class, and that required asking the coaches, pushing for an evaluation, waiting for a spot in the class, etc. Every kid is different, but I was just so eager for more gymnastics!

I would consider putting her in the harder class. If she doesn't like it, she can drop back. Better than feeling meh about where she's at and not knowing what's ahead.

My child started that early. I was hesitant at first too. I now realize I was overthinking the whole thing. She had a natural drive to progress. If you give them a chance, you’ll see how the child tolerates it. Mine thrived and most do! Also, if it’s too much, you could go back to rec. also, the older they are, the more fear they have so advancing early is easier starting young. Hope that helps!

I would look at the overall training hours your gym uses (especially the next couple levels) to see if it is something you and her can manage, because it can progress quickly. Gyms can vary greatly in hours....for instance, my daughter's gym pre-team is only 2 hours/week, Level 2 is 6 hours, Level 3 is 8.5 hours, Level 4 is 13, etc. My daughter is now 8 and doing 13 hrs/week.

Thanks for the advice!
I feel that she isn't progressing as much in her weekend class since most of the children there do only 1 class a week in rec. If she doesn't join the competitive group, we will probably drop that one.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back