Anon Moving from Xcel to DP at an older age

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

“I am going to be a freshman in high school next year and I am currently competing Xcel Gold. I have the ability to compete Platinum but my gym only lets you do one level per year. I place in the top 3 at meets for all around almost every time. I get skills way quicker than my teammates and I always have better form.
I have always wants to DP but was told I was too old so I just did Xcel. But it is getting to the point where I just want more than what Xcel can offer. My current gym doesn’t offer DP to anyone in Xcel except if they are really young. I would have to move gyms in order to do DP but I honestly would want a fresh start anyway.
I am confident I could get the skills needed for level 7 by the time season starts next year. I can already meet the requirements for vault, beam, bars and am really close to having everything for floor (with good form).
With my age in consideration, would I have any possibility of actually making a level 7 team for next season?”
This was written by daughter, just on my account:)

It really just depends on the gyms in your area. You might want to consider looking at other Xcel programs, too. The way the program is implemented varies widely from gym to gym so another gym's Xcel program could give you want you're looking for.

Best option is to start calling other local gyms anonymously and explaining your circumstances to see if there are any that are willing to accept this type of transfer. Really depends on your area

It really just depends on the gyms in your area. You might want to consider looking at other Xcel programs, too. The way the program is implemented varies widely from gym to gym so another gym's Xcel program could give you want you're looking for.
I will definitely try to find some Xcel gyms is we can’t find a DP program that will accept my daughter. Thank you for giving you insight.

Some gyms have requirements for Level 7 that are slightly above the USAG requirements. Some things I think a lot of gyms may require that might be hard are:
  • Back handspring on beam (rather than a roundoff)
  • Giants on bars (rather than two clear hips.) If you can do these you should be able to do Level 7 at most gyms if you have good form, are strong and flexible, and a serious gymnast, (trusting that you are all of these things from your post). You're not going to be an elite gymnast, but you can probably get to Level 9 or 10 if you keep at it.
Freshman is on the older side for Level 7, but if you find a good gym you should fit right in. You are not too old to get to upper optionals in DP.

Some gyms have requirements for Level 7 that are slightly above the USAG requirements. Some things I think a lot of gyms may require that might be hard are:
  • Back handspring on beam (rather than a roundoff)
  • Giants on bars (rather than two clear hips.) If you can do these you should be able to do Level 7 at most gyms if you have good form, are strong and flexible, and a serious gymnast, (trusting that you are all of these things from your post). You're not going to be an elite gymnast, but you can probably get to Level 9 or 10 if you keep at it.
Freshman is on the older side for Level 7, but if you find a good gym you should fit right in. You are not too old to get to upper optionals in DP.
Ok thank you. This is helpful to know.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News