Parents Moving to Maryland, looking for a good (competitive) gym near Sykesville, MD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all, first time here - found ya'll from reddit. I like many other parents think my kids are better than sliced bread, so we will put that aside and just consider the option of being good (maybe even great) in the future. I'd like to provide them the option at least. Our current gym doesn't know anyone in the area (super helpful right?) but my soon to be 6yo was asked to start practicing with the competitive team this month, so I am being told there is the potential for her to pursue this.
Anyone have gyms they recommend or a resource I can look to to find a good gym? I have one kid that is just there for fun and exercise (which is AWESOME!) and another that could potentially go somewhere with the sport. Just a dad trying to find something worthwhile. Thank you all for your help.

I coached in Baltimore for a few years -- not long enough to get a super-solid handle on which gyms to recommend out in that area, but some of my old coworkers might have recommendations. I'll reach out.

Are you looking for men's or women's programs?

I live in MD but not Sykesville, we did attend a meet near there at a gym called United Gymnastix. They seem to be a good gym and the girls on their competitive team have scored well at meets my kids have participated in.

Alright, after talking to another Rebounders coach.....

United seems really good, albeit a bit more intense than average. Up to you whether or not that fits what you're looking for.

All Pro is a bit less intense, and is a mixed bag in terms of coaches' experience.

Rebounders is a roughly 30-40 minute drive, and I can vouch for them (though I'll give the disclaimer that several of my favorite coaches there have left since the beginning of the pandemic. That said, they still have some very strong and very experienced coaches who have a record of producing scholarship athletes).

Last edited:
One obvious choice that hasn't been mentioned yet is Hills (about a 30 minute drive). It is considered the premier competitive gym in the area but I hear it can be quite intense. My daughter did L4 this year in the state, I love her gym (competitive but also laid back/small family feel) but it is about a 45 minute drive from you so probably too far. I don't really know anything about the other gyms, but from a purely competitive/scoring perspective (does not imply highest value add) for compulsories, I would rank the gyms mentioned so far as follows:

1. Hills (large program)
2. United (medium program)
3. All Pro (large program)
4. Rebounders/Win-Win

One obvious choice that hasn't been mentioned yet is Hills (about a 30 minute drive). It is considered the premier competitive gym in the area but I hear it can be quite intense. My daughter did L4 this year in the state, I love her gym (competitive but also laid back/small family feel) but it is about a 45 minute drive from you so probably too far. I don't really know anything about the other gyms, but from a purely competitive/scoring perspective (does not imply highest value add) for compulsories, I would rank the gyms mentioned so far as follows:

1. Hills (large program)
4. Rebounders/Win-Win
Is Tony still at Hills? If so, that alone means it's worth checking out

1. Hills (large program)
4. Rebounders/Win-Win

Hills is absolutely a top tier program nationally at all levels. But the commute is much more than 30 minutes from Westminster. Likely at least an hour during the time one would be commuting to practice.

Hills is absolutely a top tier program nationally at all levels. But the commute is much more than 30 minutes from Westminster. Likely at least an hour during the time one would be commuting to practice.
The OP said Sykesville which is 35 minutes on gmaps but yeah really depends exactly where. Traffics can definitely add a lot though. Picking my daughter up at 8:30 takes 28 minutes but dropping her off is usually 50.

1. Hills (large program)
4. Rebounders/Win-Win
Thank you so much, going to check them out for sure. It looks like our location has changed (Gambrills) too, moving stinks, I hate it lol

I live in MD but not Sykesville, we did attend a meet near there at a gym called United Gymnastix. They seem to be a good gym and the girls on their competitive team have scored well at meets my kids have participated in.
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll check it out!

Traffic can be really awful in this area. I would check out United Gymnastix and All Pro. Either would be a reasonable commute from Sykesville and both have successful compulsory teams. Rebounders and Win-Win would be a bit further drive but not totally unreasonable.

You can check meet results here: https://www.mymeetscores.com/gym.pl?list=2&year=2022&state=MD
rebounders is on the list to check out now, thank you so much. and my location seems to have changed to Gambrills (I hate moving)

Alright, after talking to another Rebounders coach.....

United seems really good, albeit a bit more intense than average. Up to you whether or not that fits what you're looking for.

All Pro is a bit less intense, and is a mixed bag in terms of coaches' experience.

Rebounders is a roughly 30-40 minute drive, and I can vouch for them (though I'll give the disclaimer that several of my favorite coaches there have left since the beginning of the pandemic. That said, they still have some very strong and very experienced coaches who have a record of producing scholarship athletes).
Going to look into both. Traffic is intense here, and it seems you hit it no matter how far or close the destination; so I think both are viable options.

Thank you so much, going to check them out for sure. It looks like our location has changed (Gambrills) too, moving stinks, I hate it lol
Near Gambrills your closest gyms will be docksiders and win-win I think. Both good programs. Another nearby that I would definitely recommend is silver stars in Bowie. It’s a really competitive smaller gym that is serious about gymnastics but also a supportive environment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back