Anon Moving up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been an xcel gymnast for years now. I’m currently on excel silver. I have this friend who is the same exact as me skill set wise, everything she can do I can do. However she’s had this one skill for a couple of months longer than what I have had it. They moved her up to gold. My coach had a meeting with my mom and had told her if I get that skill then we can maybe talk about moving me up and then proceeded to tell her she knew I can do gold but I just need that one skill. Two weeks after that meeting I had gotten that skill and I do them consistently. But they’re still keeping me on silver and I’m practicing the same things over again to the point where I know they’re spot on. I have been on silver for years now and I know I have everything gold requires (new and old) and more. And on my behalf staying on silver is discouraging because I feel like I’m going no where considering how everything is super easy for me now , and have all but one for over a year now. Is there anything I can possibly do about it?

This time of year is so nerve-wracking for gymnasts and parents (and coaches!) - will a gymnast advance or stay at a certain level? If you believe that you can compete Gold instead of Silver, you (and maybe your parents) should talk to the coaches. I would recommend that you ask the coaches about your "development plan". Ask what they think you are doing well, what you may need to improve on, and what is the next step in your development. Let them know what goals you have for yourself. There may be more to their current decision than what they told you, but only they would really be able to explain that to you. Maybe they want you to be a leader for the Silver team? Honestly, it's hard for us to say since we don't have all the information, but I wish you luck!

Definitely ask your coach, they said you could maybe move up if you got this skill, you have got the skill so ask. They can only say yes or no and if it's a no then you can ask what else you need to do. Maybe they'll say yes, good luck.

If (1) the coach said that if you get skill you can move up, and (2) you got the skill -- I'd be having a conversation with that coach about moving you up.

I don't know how old you are, you seem pretty mature, but my daughter would definitely want me to facilitate that conversation. Have you talked to your mom?

If (1) the coach said that if you get skill you can move up, and (2) you got the skill -- I'd be having a conversation with that coach about moving you up.

I don't know how old you are, you seem pretty mature, but my daughter would definitely want me to facilitate that conversation. Have you talked to your mom?
Yes I have talked to my mom about it.

Yes I have told her everything about it.

M
I have been an xcel gymnast for years now. I’m currently on excel silver. I have this friend who is the same exact as me skill set wise, everything she can do I can do. However she’s had this one skill for a couple of months longer than what I have had it. They moved her up to gold. My coach had a meeting with my mom and had told her if I get that skill then we can maybe talk about moving me up and then proceeded to tell her she knew I can do gold but I just need that one skill. Two weeks after that meeting I had gotten that skill and I do them consistently. But they’re still keeping me on silver and I’m practicing the same things over again to the point where I know they’re spot on. I have been on silver for years now and I know I have everything gold requires (new and old) and more. And on my behalf staying on silver is discouraging because I feel like I’m going no where considering how everything is super easy for me now , and have all but one for over a year now. Is there anything I can possibly do about it
I have been a gymnast my entire life and am currently a solidly scoring level 8. I would either be a low excel level, an even lower DP level, or have already quit by now if I hadn't switched gyms several times. I have been in the exact situation that you are in like 2 separate times by now, and every time a coach said "Get this skill and I'll move you up" and then I got the skill and did not move up I knew it was time to find another option because a coach who is deceitful about that type of thing will continue to be that way throughout your career. Maybe they will eventually move you up years after you wanted to, but then what happens when you want to move up again? Especially if you have already repeated silver several times and are ready to progress in your career my recommendation would be to find a new gym, with a coach who is honest and passionate to help you achieve your goals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News