MAG Mushroom and higher levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

sjm2b3

Proud Parent
DS will compete level 6 this year. He's 9. He has a homemade mushroom that he has used a ton in the past. He seems to have outgrown it :) as it tips now and/or he scrapes his legs with the level 6 routine. He really wants a real mushroom; one of his teammates has the one where you can put the handles on it. My question is, is it worth it to pay for one at this level? Will he still use it another year or two? Once you hit level 7 is it still helpful to practice on? He does use it almost daily now. Thanks!

My son quit using his at Level 7 - so we sold it to a younger gymnast. Last Christmas we bought him a mushroom top where you can attach either one or two pommels as he was working floor mushroom. His coach really doesn't want him doing too much of it at home as his wrist already get strained from his workouts at the gym. I don't think I would recommend it as it is still very pricey and they workout so many hours at the gym once they hit level 7.

Probably depends on how quickly the hours go up but also what the home mushroom is for. I'm not a big fan of lots of extra practice at home to build skills, but DS has a real relationship with his mushroom. It's his go-to thing when he's stressed or sad or just needs a break from homework. Lately, he's been getting a lot of use out of the dome top, which he takes off and uses to do floor mushroom. He really wants a pommel top and we may break down and get it for him. He is, like your guy, getting ready for L6 this year. I figure when he's ready to let it go, we will pass it along to a younger teammate. Given how he uses it and what he uses it for, I anticipate that the great pass off of the mushroom will happen around the time he defends his dissertation or turns 30, whichever comes first.

D has had one for a while, but I anticipate it going to someone younger soon. He will still use the top to practice floor circles, but that is about it. Sometimes he will just go use it for fun too. But, since he is in the gym so much, the amount of time on it is less.

I think I would forgo buying one at this age, unless you come across a really good deal!

Tell him to swing his circles more extended.

Instead of a double pommel top, make or get a single pommel trainer.

Thanks all! The old mushroom is wooden and duct tape.....it has served him well but I think we will get him one of the pommel trainers Blairbob mentions. He doesn't go very many hours (he does pommel in gym 2 times per week) so I feel okay about him doing it. We can sell it after! thanks again.

I really enjoyed reading this post. I congratulate you for the terrific job you've made. Great stuff, just simply amazing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back