Music and Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OK...so i just got back in the gym about a year and a half ago, after a 4 and a half year leave. I'm starting this season as Level 7 but by my last meet around April, we're hoping to be L8.

My first issue is bars. Our gym is extremely small...we only have one set of bars, but we're getting a new gym so I'm thinking that with the new equipment and a pit bar and more sets I'll be able to get a lot better...is that a fair assumption?

My second is this: i still have no floor routine/music.
I picked music and my coach said she would cut it, but later she come to me and told me to pick different music because it would be too hard to cut that specific music. So I picked other music and she liked it but the other day when we finally decided to make the routine, she made the comment that the music was very "dancy" and that's not the kind of gymnast I am. I agreed but told her i thought taking a risk and being serious would be nice for me. Shereplied by telling me that some people shouldn't take risks.
D=

But here's my problem...I don't know what to do! I think I want to get a couple of my friends who have danced all their life to help me make my own routine, because they sometimes help with my beam routines, but I'm not sure.
Any ideas?

At the gym my DD goes to, the coach picks the music and makes up the routine. She is very good at it!! She picks the music to match each girls personality. Some girls have classical sounding music, one girl uses inspector gaget.

OK...so i just got back in the gym about a year and a half ago, after a 4 and a half year leave. I'm starting this season as Level 7 but by my last meet around April, we're hoping to be L8.

My first issue is bars. Our gym is extremely small...we only have one set of bars, but we're getting a new gym so I'm thinking that with the new equipment and a pit bar and more sets I'll be able to get a lot better...is that a fair assumption?

My second is this: i still have no floor routine/music.
I picked music and my coach said she would cut it, but later she come to me and told me to pick different music because it would be too hard to cut that specific music. So I picked other music and she liked it but the other day when we finally decided to make the routine, she made the comment that the music was very "dancy" and that's not the kind of gymnast I am. I agreed but told her i thought taking a risk and being serious would be nice for me. Shereplied by telling me that some people shouldn't take risks.
D=

But here's my problem...I don't know what to do! I think I want to get a couple of my friends who have danced all their life to help me make my own routine, because they sometimes help with my beam routines, but I'm not sure.
Any ideas?

It sounds to me like your coach does not have the skills to choreograph your routine and she is making excuses. If she really didn't think your second choice was appropriate for YOU, then she should have said something the minute you presented that choice to her. My advice to you is to take it upon yourself to find a good, professional choreographer and consult with her. Don't ask your dancer friends because they will not be familiar with the proper elements that go into a gymnastics routine. If your coach has a pronlem, too bad. You gave her every opportunity to help you out and she obviously failed. She'll get over it.

Well, i've finally gotten new music that hopefully will work for my coach.
my first meet was supposed to have been Saturday, but that obviously wasn't an option. I actually wanted to go and just scratch floor, but the coach's said no.
so now i have to wait until Januaury to compete, and i missed Music City, which has been my favorite meet since i was little.
:mad:

Aw that stinks!!! About the music...... I'm not a very dancey person AT ALL! Trust me I get scores because of my tumbling not the dance.. I use walking on sunshine that might work

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back