WAG My coach is leaving and other stuff

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
So last week my coach told me at adult gym that she had a job interview and if she got the job she would not be staying to coach. So this week she had the interview and broke the news to the rest of the squad today. We get a new coach next week (current coach will coach with her for a week) and I'm a little bit angry at my coach at the moment. We are going into comp season soon and I don't think it's very fair on us as we are the top state stream squad (level 7) and we are suddenly getting a new coach, I don't know if its me being terrible at change or if its that she is genuinely wrong for leaving us on the way into comp season. Doesn't help that everything has changed for me in the past few months I.e. I've graduated and started uni, I've been forced to get more independent etc.

On a side not I don't know if I'm doing gym because I love it or because I don't know what I'd be if I quit gym. If I'm not a gymnast who am I? It's something I honestly don't know, I'm 'the gymnast' everywhere I go at uni, at circus, at quidditch (yes quidditch) among my friends, everywhere I go I'm a gymnast.

Also what will a new coach (coming in from another country maybe somewhere in South America) think of an 18 year old gymnast, I'm worried that she won't take me seriously and I am just going to float by. It happened when my old coach (not the one leaving) first came and she pretty much didn't coach me - this changed when she realised I was serious after about 6 months but I don't have that kind of time anymore. I don't know if I'm just angry that two coaches have left us in less than 6 months or what but I'm just in a very confused state of mind and suddenly everything is wrong.

Firstly you've got a good few weeks before comp seasons starts (I'm assuming the smc gala - I think you are sydney from memory) is your first comp, so not till June?
It's a pity your coach is moving on but everyone has to take the opportunities they get and staying at something that offers less is not an option in the adult world.
So just impress this new coach!! Hopefully she/he will have no preconceived idea about age and will immediately see your work ethic and if not tell her/him!!! Let the coach know how much you want this and want to do well this season. You are old enough and very much mature enough (from what I can tell) to tell the coach what you want and need.
Don't let this blip in your plans cause you any problems. Embrace the idea of a new coach and new coaching techniques and only worry if things don't work out!

I agree - sometimes people don't want to leave a current job at a "bad time"; but it just isn't an option to always wait until the perfect time for the current job to be done - better opportunities come up and you kind of have to take them; because they might not always be there when it is the most convenient time. Your current coach really does have to do what is best for her in the long run.

Ask your current coach if she will maybe talk to the new coach about you and your concerns. Or... you talk to the new coach and make sure s/he knows you are serious about gym.

And for you... you need to decide why you are in it. Do you enjoy practices and competitions? Is it something that you look forward to? Or are you kind of interested in spending all that gym time doing other things?

I don't know about the coaching change, but I wanted to address your comments on why you do gymnastics. I think you need to take a hard look at yourself, maybe even make a list of all the things you do and are. For instance - you are a daughter, you are a student, you are a quidditch player, you are.... all the things that make you you. I bet you will find that being a gymnast is one of many things that make you who you are.

BTW I would not give up just because you are getting a new coach.

If you take your gymnastics seriously then your coach will take you seriously. If you are a hard working, dedicated gymnast who is keen to learn then any coach will be keen to teach you. Regardless of your age.

My daughter's coach left two weeks before the most important competition she'd ever done. Unfortunately that's how things go sometimes. She was in the middle of going through the routines move by move and tweaking them, a process which it was almost impossible for the new coach to seamlessly pick up and daughter ended up making a few changes herself (she is 8 lol). Daughter really missed her and had a few little moments and a few tears in the lead up. Things started to unravel slightly and the adjustments the new coach made did cause daughter some confusion (just a different coaching style and a young girl trying to catch on) and she lost a bit of confidence. On the day I told her to go out there and do it for her old coach if that helped and she did and she rocked :) You are ten years older and I am certain you've got this and you'll be fine. A few weeks on and new coach is just coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back