Parents My daughter tried

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

to do an ariel (sp?):eek: today. She nearly did it, but I was a nervous wreck when her coach asked her if she wanted to try it. Of course, she has no fear, so she said yes. She tried it twice, the first time better than the 2nd (the coach didn't spot her). Then she had one of the other level 3 girls give it a try. She was recently put on team (this is her 3rd week in team practice), and she didn't do so well---it was kind of scary watching her! She wasn't spotted either. Our new coach is really nice, and I think she is wanting to make it fun for them, but I'm a little concerned---should I be? My dd is 6 (will be 7 in Feb.), and the other girl is about to be 7. I guess I really don't know what to expect. The other coach retired, and this is just our 2nd week with this new coach (we were at gymnastics camp all last week). I really don't want my daughter to get hurt, but maybe they aren't supposed to be spotted doing this:confused: ---I don't know. The new coach is young (a college student), and this is her first time to coach a team. She was coaching the developmental class and just took over coaching the team a few weeks ago. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Our coaches have had our girls try aerials but they spotted every one of them.

Sounds like this coach has brought some major positives and a few little negatives to the program. She seems to have lots of energy and enthusiasim and wants to challenge the girls. On the other hand, she's never taught a team before(and a young one at that) and may be jumping the gun on some skills. Has your dd ever tried an aerial before? Mine claims they're nothing more than a no hands cartwheel, but then she is 12 and training L8(different perspective!!).

Sometimes coaches will seek out the "fearless" ones to try and push ahead. Thing is, your dd needs to have all the drills for the aerial and have the coach either spotting or near her. Aerials used to be in the L6 floor routine and were taken out when routines were changed in 2005 because the powers that be thought they were too hard/dangerous for that level. You really don't see them done much at all and now its showing up more and more as a beam skill or in an advanced tumbling pass.

I think you need to just talk a little with this coach. Tell her your dd will try anything, but that doesn't mean she has trained the skill at all. Maybe the coach would like to ask if the girls have ever done something before she encourages them to just go and do it.

gym law mom,

Yes, she definitely is bringing major positives and is extremely enthusiastic! I really do like her, so I'm not sure how to approach her about it. I don't want her to stop challanging my dd, but on the other hand, she does need to be spotted when trying those new (and many times dangerous) skills. Another thing is that I don't want her to tell me I can't watch practice. We drive an hour to get to gym, and I really have no where to go, so I sit and watch. Sometimes I read while there, and I'm planning on bringing some work with me throughout the summer practices since we have to be there from 8 to 11, so my eyes aren't glued to them the whole time. Oh, and thanks for the background about aerials---I had no idea where they were used as far as routines go.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back