Parents My kid has a meet in a week and a half, and she's not stressed. Why am I panicking?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD just finished L4, and is moving to L5 for the last meet of the season. She wanted to move up all season, but she was held back because of the dreaded kip. She finally got it, but it's inconsistent, and I asked if she could go in this meet just for the experience. They said okay, she's all signed up...

Monday night one of the coaches took me aside and told me that my DD doesn't know the routines. (she does mostly, it's all the little hand placement things that need a LOT of polish) We are trying to schedule lots of private tutoring before the meet, and really, DD is okay with crummy scores, she just wants to know what she is capable of, so she can work it out for next season.

I am not worried about how she will do, I am worried about how she might feel about it. She's not the kind that gets crushed by a low score, but she will kick herself if she forgets the routine. I probably should have just made her wait, but it's too late now.

Any suggestions? (short of scratching and calling it good)

Snowbound

My DD just finished L4, and is moving to L5 for the last meet of the season. She wanted to move up all season, but she was held back because of the dreaded kip. She finally got it, but it's inconsistent, and I asked if she could go in this meet just for the experience. They said okay, she's all signed up...

Monday night one of the coaches took me aside and told me that my DD doesn't know the routines. (she does mostly, it's all the little hand placement things that need a LOT of polish) We are trying to schedule lots of private tutoring before the meet, and really, DD is okay with crummy scores, she just wants to know what she is capable of, so she can work it out for next season.

I am not worried about how she will do, I am worried about how she might feel about it. She's not the kind that gets crushed by a low score, but she will kick herself if she forgets the routine. I probably should have just made her wait, but it's too late now.

Any suggestions? (short of scratching and calling it good)

Snowbound

It sounds like you have a very intelligent dd on your hands with a good head on her shoulders!!! If all gymnasts had that attitude about not worrying about scores for now because whe knows she can "work it all out next year" there would be no stress!!! AWESOME attitude to have!!! I would say, if she's not stressed then DON"T worry about it. It sounds like she is very incharge of her gymnastics and sounds very level-headed and has a healthy perspective on the sport.

My dd doesn't get all that nervous for meets, at least she doesn't show it. She has been pretty consistent all season and is showing lots of improvement. She still has her weak areas, but even those are improving. Her coach has a good way of prepping the girls for meets and emphasizes being prepared, doing your best and accepting the scores and placements as they stand, and most of all having fun. I think this balance has helped my dd learn to celebrate the successes and also accept the losses and know that there is always another meet to try and do better.

Good luck to your dd in her next Level 5 meet--she'll do great just by her attitude alone!!

She'll be fine, it's all for the experience and as long as thats what you keep calling it she be cool with it. Make a celebration afterwards to show her how impressed you were with her meet. (An ice cream out or a new book, you know the drill)

Maybe you and she could make some very tangible goals for the meet, sticking that RO BHS BHS or nailing that squat on etc This will take the focus of scores and medals and will also make her think about what she can acheive as opposed to stuff she really cannot control.

She sounds like the kind of child who can manage just fine, she's yours so you must be just the same!!

Have fun, and relax, she has done States, this is all for the pleasure.

I think she will be just fine! She has a great attitude and knows this is for experience. I agree with Bog on making tangible goals for this meet. I think it is harder for us sometimes. My kid is the same way with every meet. Not nervous at all and I am a wreck. :D

Why am I panicking? Because you are a mom that is what we do best.
How very exciting for your dd them letting her try a L5 meet. With all of the the extra privates I am sure she will do fine with the routines.

to help her learn the routines have her watch the level 5 routines on You Tube........Nica hults would be a good one to watch.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back