NCAA My takeaways from the 4 regionals this weekend

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym_dad32608

Proud Parent
I certainly hope everyone had the opportunity to watch some or all of the regional action this weekend. I mean, I expect everyone that is active on this board to want to follow this, amiright? I was fortunate to run through all of them. Here are my takeaways:
  • The quality of gymnastics across the board is going up. Parity is coming, which is a good thing. It does make what OU is doing now pretty remarkable. But so many good routines from the "not-the-usual-suspects". The DP program is obviously doing very well.
  • OU, what can you say, count a fall and still score a 198?! I know home cooking and stuff, but still. Nothing to not think that OU is going to walk away with their next title in two weeks.
  • Kentucky, extremely consistent. They have been so consistent that I think people have overlooked them. I do think they are performing at their ceiling right now, not sure they can squeeze out anymore tenths to really have a shot, but still amazing team this year.
  • Florida, I am more impressed with how steady they performed without Trinity and dealing with the sudden shifting of line-ups and expectations. I know UF and Jenny has a choke rap, but this year they do seem consistent and solid. Of course they will need Trinity back to have any type of shot.
  • Cal, had a blah semifinal followed by an incredible final. They are a fun team to watch and have some creative gymnastics, especially on beam.
  • LSU, another one with mixed performance through the regional. The question is do they still have enough in the tank with their all-arounders to be solid for two back to back meets? When Bryant-Arenas-Finnegan are on fire at the same time, they can roll with anyone.
  • Denver, some might say the benefit of home cooking, and there is some truth to that. But they delivered what they could on that last beam rotation, always good to see them in nationals. They have just struggled away from home this whole season, so we will see.
  • UCLA, still not sure what kind of coach Janelle is, but she certainly has created an environment where this uber talented team is performing closer to their potential compared to last year. Vault rotation may ultimately do them in, and they did have the benefit of competing at home, but they have the talent to be right there.
  • Utah, another super talented team that has absorbed Grace's injury very well. Looked solid across two nights. They should be right there in the end.
  • Bridget Sloane may be a meh announcer, but she is right in saying its no longer about surviving beam, its about vault rotation and sticking landings. The championship team is going to be the team with the most stuck vault landings regardless of SV. Ask Michigan about not sticking landings.
  • I see OU, Utah, Florida and Cal in final with OU walking away with it. If anything it should be exciting to watch the battle for the 2nd spots in both the semifinals and finals.

I certainly hope everyone had the opportunity to watch some or all of the regional action this weekend. I mean, I expect everyone that is active on this board to want to follow this, amiright? I was fortunate to run through all of them. Here are my takeaways:
  • The quality of gymnastics across the board is going up. Parity is coming, which is a good thing. It does make what OU is doing now pretty remarkable. But so many good routines from the "not-the-usual-suspects". The DP program is obviously doing very well.
  • OU, what can you say, count a fall and still score a 198?! I know home cooking and stuff, but still. Nothing to not think that OU is going to walk away with their next title in two weeks.
  • Kentucky, extremely consistent. They have been so consistent that I think people have overlooked them. I do think they are performing at their ceiling right now, not sure they can squeeze out anymore tenths to really have a shot, but still amazing team this year.
  • Florida, I am more impressed with how steady they performed without Trinity and dealing with the sudden shifting of line-ups and expectations. I know UF and Jenny has a choke rap, but this year they do seem consistent and solid. Of course they will need Trinity back to have any type of shot.
  • Cal, had a blah semifinal followed by an incredible final. They are a fun team to watch and have some creative gymnastics, especially on beam.
  • LSU, another one with mixed performance through the regional. The question is do they still have enough in the tank with their all-arounders to be solid for two back to back meets? When Bryant-Arenas-Finnegan are on fire at the same time, they can roll with anyone.
  • Denver, some might say the benefit of home cooking, and there is some truth to that. But they delivered what they could on that last beam rotation, always good to see them in nationals. They have just struggled away from home this whole season, so we will see.
  • UCLA, still not sure what kind of coach Janelle is, but she certainly has created an environment where this uber talented team is performing closer to their potential compared to last year. Vault rotation may ultimately do them in, and they did have the benefit of competing at home, but they have the talent to be right there.
  • Utah, another super talented team that has absorbed Grace's injury very well. Looked solid across two nights. They should be right there in the end.
  • Bridget Sloane may be a meh announcer, but she is right in saying its no longer about surviving beam, its about vault rotation and sticking landings. The championship team is going to be the team with the most stuck vault landings regardless of SV. Ask Michigan about not sticking landings.
  • I see OU, Utah, Florida and Cal in final with OU walking away with it. If anything it should be exciting to watch the battle for the 2nd spots in both the semifinals and finals.
Wow loved reading this! Such a great summary!

I hope OU does not walk away with it....and while they should win "Best Use of Code" award for their routines, and they are generally technically on point, I find their gymnastics boring. It would be nice to see Cal or even Maile O'Keefe and her delightful routines win this year. UCLA's rebound with the new coach would be a nice feel good story too.

Well “Maile O’Keefe and her delightful routines “ snuck right in there and won this year’s All around and beam title!! No one really had her listed as a contender for AA because she “only” vaulted a YFull…

And Utah is in the finals… along with Oklahoma’s technically sound, but boring to me, routines.

College gymnastics is definitely moving in a good direction... fun to watch!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back