Names of tricks? Confused!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
Today on double mini trampoline my coach wanted me to do what she described as a front tuck kick out at 12 o' clock with a half twist at the end. First off what is that trick called? Is it a barani? Also the first one I attempted I was in a layed out position and did the half twist at the beginning instead of the end (like a round off without hands) what is this trick called? Help me out here.

Thanks,
Aerialriver

In artistic gymnastics, a front layout 1/2 with the 1/2 twist in the beginning is called a barani. However, in TNT, a front tuck (or pike or layout) open to 1/2 twist at the end is a barani. At least that is what I have gathered from working with both artistic gymnasts and tnt kids.

As I recall from my T&T days, what the coach was asking you to do is a barani.

What you did is...kind of a good way to crash. And what many many MANY people do when asked to do a barani, or a front with a half, hence the longer more detailed explanation of exactly what the coach wanted.

Coach Goofy

You make it sound like I was purposely deifying her instructions! I was not, I got kind of nervous and messed up the first one, keep in mind this is the first one I had EVER done! I then went on to do exactly what she had asked for the remainder of practice.

Aerialriver

You make it sound like I was purposely deifying her instructions! I was not, I got kind of nervous and messed up the first one, keep in mind this is the first one I had EVER done! I then went on to do exactly what she had asked for the remainder of practice.

Aerialriver

I certainly didn't mean to!

It happens. Since the twist is new, your brain says "OH SHOOT! TWIST NOW!!!!!" especially if you aren't thinking "flip. ok. upside down. Hey! There's the floor. Kick and twist.".

The mat, it's not so delicious. *former champion mat eater. From twisting too early*

Sorry CoachGoofy! I replied to your post when I first woke up this morning at O' dark :30 very cranky and still half crocked of my ambien :) Plus it was my first day at my new job and I was already stressed. I should not have snapped at you!

Aerialriver

Sorry CoachGoofy! I replied to your post when I first woke up this morning at O' dark :30 very cranky and still half crocked of my ambien :) Plus it was my first day at my new job and I was already stressed. I should not have snapped at you!

Aerialriver

Ah, O'dark:30. Is that before or after the buttcrack of dawn?

S'all good. I forget sometimes that my gymnasts are used to how I present information, but random people on the internets aren't. Good for you for nailing it after the first time (and not, I presume, eating delicious delicious landing mat)

O'dark :30 is before the butt crack of dawn! When I got the trick I didn't really land it, well very good anyways but I managed to stay on my feet-ish :) and did not in fact eat mat!

Aerialriver

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back