Nastia cup

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aug

Nastia Liukin Cup

Nastia Liukin Cup, Nastia Liukin Fund No comments
0381.jpg
Nastia and
USA Gymnastics have joined forces to provide a competitive opportunity for the country’s top Junior Olympic gymnasts, the Nastia Liukin Cup.
spacer.gif

The inaugural Nastia Liukin Cup is scheduled for March 5, 2010, at the DCU Center in Worcester, Mass and will be held the evening prior to the prestigious Tyson American Cup using the event’s podium. Gymnasts will be chosen to participate in the Cup from a series of invitationals known as the Nastia Liukin Cup Series. The Series will be promoted throughout the competitive season with individual meets each selecting a minimum of two athletes to compete in the Cup from their respective fields. The events already committed to participate in the NLCS are listed below.
spacer.gif

•CGA Parents Club Coaches Spectacular, Covington, Ky., Jan. 15-17
•Cereal City Classic, Kalamazoo, Mich., Jan. 22-24
•Parkettes Invitational, Allentown, Pa., Jan. 29-31
•The Fiesta Bowl Classic, Chandler, Ariz., Feb. 5-7
•WOGA Classic, Plano, Feb. 13-14
•Buckeye Classic, Columbus, Ohio, Feb. 19-21
•Circle of Stars, Indianapolis, Ind., Feb. 19-21
•Excalibur Cup, Virginia Beach, Va., Feb. 19-21
•IGI Chicago Style Meet, Chicago, Ill., Feb. 12-14
•Pikes Peak Cup, Colorado Springs, Colo., Feb. 19-21
•Presidential Classic, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., Feb 19-21
•The Long Beach Open, Long Beach, Calif., Feb. 26-28.
spacer.gif

Gymnasts who qualify for the Nastia Liukin Cup will receive a Nastia Liukin-designed leotard and a warm-up from GK Elite; two tickets to the Tyson American Cup and recognition during the event; and the opportunity to meet Nastia Liukin and participate in a team photo.
spacer.gif

“I love gymnastics, and it has given me the opportunity to achieve my dreams and goals … and now I want to give back to the community that has supported me for my entire career. I am excited about the development of the Cup, which will give athletes an elite competitive opportunity, and the creation of the Nastia Liukin Fund that will enable me to help others through scholarships or charitable support.â€￾
spacer.gif

Proceeds from the Nastia Liukin Cup will go into the Nastia Liukin Fund, a charitable fund within the National Gymnastics Foundation. In the first year, net revenues from the Nastia Liukin Cup will be utilized as scholarships for young gymnasts who show ability and have a financial hardship through the Nastia Liukin Fund.
spacer.gif

At today’s press conference Nastia reflected on her excitement at the prospect of providing this opportunity to young gymnasts in the US. “I couldn’t be more excited to have this announcement of the Nastia Liukin Cup. When we thought of this idea it was kind of like a dream. I never would have thought I would have a competition in honor of me, and what I’ve accomplished. Just to see the logo and the pink little me next to it, was just so amazing.â€￾
spacer.gif

“I wanted to make sure it wasn’t for the Elite athletes,â€￾ Nastia added of her original wishes for the competition that bears her name. “The Level 10 girls might not ever get the experience to compete on the podium, or may later in their career, so it’s so cool that they’re going to be able to start that early on. From the 12 competitions they’re going to be choosen, the Nastia Liukin Cup is the grand finale, and I’m just so excited to be partnered up with USA Gymnastics. I couldn’t thank them enough for always being behind me.â€￾
spacer.gif

USA Gymnastics president Steve Penny said that the organisation
“is honored to partner with Nastia in creating this unique opportunity for young gymnasts. Nastia’s gymnastics accomplishments are incredible. She is known and respected for her integrity, sportsmanship and sense of fair play. Her interest in helping others and dedication to gymnastics led to the creation of the Nastia Liukin Cup and Nastia Liukin Fund.â€￾

From her website

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back