WAG Nastia Liukin Comeback?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That's crazy. I never expected her to make a comeback, I thought she was done. How on earth does she expect to make the Olympic team if she hasn't trained in years, and it's only 10 months away?!

She has probably done more than you think. She never fully walked away from the sport and has stayed in shape so it will not be as hard for her to comeback as it was for some others. I'm excited to see what she can do!!!!

That's crazy. I never expected her to make a comeback, I thought she was done. How on earth does she expect to make the Olympic team if she hasn't trained in years, and it's only 10 months away?!

I think Nastia has done more training than most realize. I seriously doubt she and her dad would attempt a comeback if she had not stayed in shape.

This is so cool I love Nastia...she has some of the best bars next to the Chinese women.

The US will be in need of this...so many talented women..let keep them healthy now....

Let's not forget that Nastia announcing her comeback does not guarantee her a spot on the Olympic team. She needs to prove that she is worthy and capable of performing at the Olympic level.

As for her training, she definitely has been working out and staying in shape. As she said, she would focus on bars and beam instead of competing all-around. So, if anyone can do it, she can.

I'm disappointed in her timing. Since she's not announcing at the worlds she had to figure out someway to get the spotlight off of the competition and back on to her.

I'm disappointed in her timing. Since she's not announcing at the worlds she had to figure out someway to get the spotlight off of the competition and back on to her.

I do agree with you there. She should have waited until after Worlds to announce it.

Just because she is making a comeback doesn't mean she will make the olympics. she really needs to walk away from the media and train if she is serious about this. I agree that she would not attampt a comeback if she wasn't in shape and that she has been working out more than we know of. Also that she should have waited until after Worlds to announce it. Im intrested to see what she does. only 5 gymnasts will compete at next years olympics so will she get picked just for bars and beam ,I guess we will have to wait and see :D

Honestly, I hope she doesn't get picked for the Olympics. She had her time in 08, and now it's time for these new girls who worked their butts off these past few years to make it, not got replaced by someone who just took 3 years in the media and because of her name/past experience gets a spot (although I'm sure she is still very good and would prove herself worthy). Just my opinion though, she's an amazing gymnast but she already won first place AA in the Olympics, what is she aiming for now?

I say whoever is the best needs to compete at the olympics if they have competed there or not. I know I used to feel the same way about letting the younger girls have a chance but now I don't. I feel that the work you put in and if you are strong and healthy and able to help the USA then I'm all for it if it be Nastia, Shawn, Alicia or any of the girls on the 08 olympic team. They should get a tryout too. Good luck to whoever makes the team. Lots of work ahead.

Very well said Blazing15. I agree.
The girls who go to London in '12 should be the girls in the best shape at the time, no matter who they are.

My looking at her you can tell she is getting in better shape, so she is not just starting the comeback right now. She also made some weird comment that hinted that she was already training during Nationals. My only problem with this whole thing is the timing of her announcement in the MIDDLE of the women's world championships competition... Can she not let the other American girls have any attention?

I wouldn't rush to judgement about the timing of Nastia's announcement. I wouldn't be surprised if the USAG encouraged the announcement to bring some attention to the sport right when they've got TV broadcasts pending. It's my understanding that she's in Japan as some kind of official representative, so I'm sure the USAG at least was well informed the announcement was coming. Let's face it -- a lot of the girls actually competing aren't exactly household names for folks who don't troll these kind of boards.

I don't care what their age or experience -- the best athlete's at the time of the Olympics should be representing the USA.

don't hold your breath on this one. this is what dreams and wishful thinking are made of.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back