National Gymnastics Day!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
Happy National Gymnastics Day! (Okay, I'm a day early). It's not too late to have gyms participate in the world record attempt for simultaneous handstands (1 pm EST tomorrow). Here's the link if anyone wants to participate last minute. Our gym is participating and the girls are excited. We're just taking a quick break during the normal practice.

:: USA Gymnastics :: National Gymnastics Day ::

Our gym is having a whole 'carnival' in the parking lot. I'm assuming it will have little carnival games. As well as a dunking booth and jump house. As well as a special open gym from 6-10pm and participating in the simultaneous handstands at 1:00.

Most of this is to raise money for a new floor in conjunction with it being National Gymnastics Day.

The dunking booth was clever though. Any coaches could sign up and they put a jar out in the waiting area with there name on it. And every dollar in the jar you get 5 min. in the dunking booth.
This may backfire though considering 1. one of the coaches had the whole team (about 50 girls or more) ganged up on her and she has about 3 hours worth in her jar. And 2. It's supposed to be pretty darn chilly tomorrow.

Our gym is doing it too. If you can'[t be at the gyn then at 1pm do the handstand and take a photo with the phone and we send it to the gym right then and there. They are making a big thing of it and having a big open house to boot.

This was a fun, easy event for gyms to participate in. Our girls had a lot of fun (we limited it to the HS event itself, cake and were fortunate to have a local reporter cover the event). My favorite part was inviting the parents and coaches to participate as well. I must say that I was amazed to see some of the parents doing handstands -- I seriously wouldn't have thought some of them had it in them!

Our gym did a "handstand" clinic and team members invited friends to come as well as rec kids. We had a BC meeting during the clinic and then we all came into the gym for the HS event. Several parents did the handstands too- including me. I think it's been 30 years since I've done one. We had an open gym time afterwards, so I followed it up with swinging from the bar into the pit (always wanted to play on those bars..ever since I was a kid!) and doing some really bad front tucks into the pit. I am still sore today... I think I'll leave the gymnastics to my dd from here on out and I'll stay in the stands...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back