National Qualifiers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I swung by the OTC this morning to take a look around. It's a really cool place, and the equipment looks nice. And they have very very extensive matting around vault, which is definitely a good thing. All the equipment looks to be in great condition.

I'll be heading in for training later today.

Went in for today's training session. As far as equipment, they have everything I could have hoped for; springboards have brand new springs, vault landing is really nice, and the floor has some serious punch to it.

Looking at the competition, I don't have a prayer on floor, but vault's a different story; I didn't see anybody throwing any vaults with a higher value than my tsuk arabian double front; if I stick it (which admittedly is a pretty big if), I could have a shot at qualifying on vault.

Some of the other guys were throwing some pretty spectacular stuff. Joey Hagerty was working out on high bar and was amazing. Charlie Tamayo appears to be going a bit conservative (at least when considering what he's capable of), but he still looks pretty amazing. Edward Mesa looked pretty good. Justin Laury looks like the hulk on steroids; haven't seen his rings yet but I suspect they'll be spectacular.

Steven Legendre has evidently withdrawn; he wasn't there and isn't on the updated start list. I'm a bit dissappointed, 'cause I really wanted to see his routines, but I guess him not being around makes my odds slightly better.

So, the meet starts in a couple hours, and I am psyched.

I'll report in afterward (as soon as I get a chance)

Hey the thin air here in CO should help you fly far! Hope you have a great meet.

Dunno, hope your guys do well today also!

Ok, finally home, here's the report:

To avoid leaving anybody in suspense: I did not make nationals.

HOWEVER, I had a blast.

The altitude seemed to be getting to a lot of people on floor; it seemed like more people fell on their final passes than didn't, and I was no exception. I knew I was going to crash my final pass (double front) before I even started running. I suppose I probably should have just done something easier, like a rudi, but damnit I didn't go all the way to colorado to compete a watered down routine.

As for vault, I came REALLY REALLY close to landing my vault during training on friday -- and then came nowhere close in competition on saturday. I couldn't get to my knees quick enough, so my flip was too slow, so basically landed flat on my back.

Joey Hagerty was there, and was amazing on high bar. Charlie Tamayo was there, and was awesome, and is also a really cool guy. Jake Dalton was there and was unbelievable on vault (tsuk TRIPPLE FULL) and floor (double twisting double layout, among other things). Tim Gentry was awesome. A few other guys whose names I don't know were doing some pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, all in all, it was a great experience and I'll definitely be going again next year.

So glad you had a great time & came home with some great memories! You are an excellent role model & a superb gymnast!!! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us:D!

Great that you had fun and wonderful that you wanted this enough to try. What a great experience and what a wonderful example to your gymnasts at home too.

I'm bummed you didn't make it, but great attitude--try again next time! And glad you were able to enjoy yourself while there. It must have been amazing to be in the arena competing w/ some amazing, world class gymnasts!

I hear you about the altitude. We spent a few days in CO in June. We were up in the Vail Valley, Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, & Boulder. By the 3rd day I had such a nasty altitude headache, and we were all just dragging. Your body really does need time to adjust to those heights. I think CO Springs is at, what, over 5,000 ft? It's kind of wierd that they have a training center and host competitions there, when you think about it! Oh well! next year, maybe you can spend some time there ahead of time, to acclimate? ;)

My routines:

[youtube]dR-5oaWWzdY[/youtube]

First clip is the best vault I got on film during training on friday, before the competition. (if you listen closely at the very beginning, you can hear Charlie Tamayo in the background saying to Blaine Wilson: "hey, check out this vault." I definitely got a kick out of that)

Second clip is my competition vault saturday, where I completely missed my right knee and landed on my butt.

Third is my floor routine. Not one of my cleaner routines, but for my first meet in the big leagues I guess I'm happy with it.

Thanks for posting your video GT!!! We don't get to see much men's gymnastics here on CB, it's so interesting to watch! You are obviously very strong & talented(& one daring guy to go for that vault--WOW)!!! Keep up the good work!!! Can't wait to see you kick some butt at National Qualifers next year~!:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back