WAG National Team Camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DefiniteMaybe

Proud Parent
Can someone kind of explain how the selection camp works. I read somewhere at the beginning of camp that this camp would be the last for Gabby and Maggie before American Cup. So I think that was decided before camp even started? But they were selecting other girls for World Cup and Gymnix? How does that work? And it looked like Bailie Key wasn't at this camp? Anybody know why?

Great questions, OP, and many that I too have about how this all works. Are there more assignments that we know of than were named in this press release: https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=18097&prog=h

Since Pac Rim is coming up, Jesolo, and others.....any idea who will be going to those events??

And in trying to come up with answers, the only schedule of upcoming events I could find that US women will be going to is on Wikipedia (there has to be a better place to get this info, I realize....I just can't find it!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_..._national_gymnastics_team_season?previous=yes

Can someone kind of explain how the selection camp works. I read somewhere at the beginning of camp that this camp would be the last for Gabby and Maggie before American Cup. So I think that was decided before camp even started? But they were selecting other girls for World Cup and Gymnix? How does that work? And it looked like Bailie Key wasn't at this camp? Anybody know why?

Gymnasts go to selection camp
and must verify skills on bars, beam etc and are scored like any regular meet. From there the US Team coaches and Marta look at the competition and where they want to send girls and what strengths/scores will give the team the best outcome. In some cases some are picked to get international experience such as our juniors going to Gymnix. The most important thing is that girls show up to camp
ready and willing to show their best stuff to impress the staff and those who don't go
home. In the end you have to impress Marta and if you don't the gymnasts and coach will be hear her criticism and be expected to do better if invited back.

Does anybody know if Jeslo group was already selected for USA? I heard someone claiming a kid was already selected. Was that team selected at last camp, last week?

I saw that too...but still they keep saying this child is a shoe in for jeslo...I didn't think they selected them yet.

so... I totally don't get this stuff. I notice that at least one girl who was on the national team last year isn't there this year (Skaggs). So, is she no longer on the team? What happens to girls who are on there and then don't get selected to be on again? Do they do Elite just with their gym, go back to L10?...

They can still be elite and go to camps but not be on national team. They can still be elite and compete elite meets but not go to camps or be on national team, or they can return to level 10 the following season I believe.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back