WAG Nationals qualifications

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
If an age division has less than 7 girls, they still have to make a specific qualifying score, right?q

Yes. That definitely happened in one group last year. (Where there was 7 kids or less but they all did not get 35)

Last edited:
I know they moved one of the Region 3 girls that placed 8th to Region 2 to make up the numbers
Yes, there were 33 extra spots from Region 2 to distribute, Region 4 had 4 extra spots, Region 6 has 5 extras through 2 of 3 level 10 sessions.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse - but this question is for those in the know with the national structure of JO Gymnastics.

It doesn’t seem like regions will ever be reorganized to even out the numbers, but is there any hope that in the future there maybe some variation in how many kids each region sends to L9 and 10 nationals, based on how many kids are competing in each age group? (As compared to now where it is 7 per age group per region, no matter the size of the region.... and I’m not talking about the extra slots opened up as mentioned above when there are too few kids in an age group, or when the 35 requirement is not met.... that doesn’t fully solve the numbers imbalance issue.)

OR, will things remain as they are for the coming years? (I am just interested to know if anyone higher up sees there is an issue here to be fixed, or if no one sees this as an issue at all)

I know Region 7 got 2 spots in R2 for Sr E, and one for Junior C....there may have been others but those are 2 I know for sure. Sr E in R2 only qualified 2 girls.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse - but this question is for those in the know with the national structure of JO Gymnastics.

It doesn’t seem like regions will ever be reorganized to even out the numbers, but is there any hope that in the future there maybe some variation in how many kids each region sends to L9 and 10 nationals, based on how many kids are competing in each age group? (As compared to now where it is 7 per age group per region, no matter the size of the region.... and I’m not talking about the extra slots opened up as mentioned above when there are too few kids in an age group, or when the 35 requirement is not met.... that doesn’t fully solve the numbers imbalance issue.)

OR, will things remain as they are for the coming years? (I am just interested to know if anyone higher up sees there is an issue here to be fixed, or if no one sees this as an issue at all)

Dead horse beating here....I don't think that you will see Nationals revert back to a system such as you describe because they had that and changed it to a set amount of girls (6 for level 9/ 7 for 10)) per age group per region.

Back when my oldest went to Easterns in 2005, the #of qualifiers were set by a percentage of the competitors in the age group....and I belive it was about 30% so in her age group of 28, 9 qualified but in her friend's age group of 12, only 3 qualified. And in 2005, JOs was set at seven.

Fast forward to 2009 when my youngest went to Easterns, USAG had changed to a "set #of qualifiers "per age group per region, and it was set at 6...her age group that year had about 23 , but only 6 went. The scuttlebutt at the time is that they wanted Easterns and Westerns to have the same type of set qualifying numbers like Level 10 Nationals. And the regions have always had the uneven population distribution back then when they instituted it so that's why I think it's here to stay.

Dead horse beating here....I don't think that you will see Nationals revert back to a system such as you describe because they had that and changed it to a set amount of girls (6 for level 9/ 7 for 10)) per age group per region.

Its actually 7 for Level 9 Eastern/Western Championships per age group (Code of Points pg. 94, #2.b.) My dd's gym is sending 2 gymnasts to fill some of the empty slots for level 10 in another region.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back