Off Topic NCAA Athletes Can Make Money From Endorsements!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wonderful step forward. The old rules made no sense in gymnastics, with a sport kids retire from by the age of 21, they need to be able to gain financial options when they are still young.

Lots of athletes are talented in ways that have nothing to do with their sport and could not get paid for them. One example I read about is a football player who is a skilled musician who had to play for free, under an alias and could not promote his gigs. That’s ridiculous.

Which gymnasts have gotten deals already? I read that Olivia Dunne has huge potential and already has 5 million followers on social media.

I have debated this with my family for countless hours over the last several years and I know I will be in the minority here but I think 10 years down the road we are going to realize how bad this decision is for the colleges, student-athletes, athletic programs and post-secondary institutions as a whole. Money will be diverted from the institutions to the individual player.

I have debated this with my family for countless hours over the last several years and I know I will be in the minority here but I think 10 years down the road we are going to realize how bad this decision is for the colleges, student-athletes, athletic programs and post-secondary institutions as a whole. Money will be diverted from the institutions to the individual player.
I couldn’t agree more, it’s like opening a can of worms. I can see so many problems with this. For example, Olivia D has her huge following already....the college can use her image and she gets paid for it. She gets more attention and more opportunities for more endorsements and more money. Everyone focuses on this one athlete at meets, during interviews, with the commentary. Gymnasts who are equally talented but don’t have all the endorsements and attention are easily overlooked, because of course its logical for the college or team to cash in where they can, so they feed the fan frenzy and keep the one gymnast in the spotlight. More energy is focused on contracts and pay for the gymnast than on training, and the distractions that come with all that will be detrimental to the team and coach-athlete dynamic. (Who’s going to not put the media/IG darling in every meet even if she’s not the best that week, since that’s who the fans will be clamoring to see and will complain loudly if they don’t see her competing?)

Can anyone else see the potential for serious problems? They are already promoting her and calling her the “million dollar gymnast,” and it’s been just a few days. I think with this allowance for earnings and endorsements, they may need to place a cap on it somewhere. I feel like the less known or less “popular” team members could get ignored in favor of promoting the cash cow, so to speak. I have seen this in real life, as there is a very popular and well-known YouTube star at my daughter’s gym, and every time they do an IG live or something like that, comment after comment is about her or asking for her, even when the camera or conversation is focusing on someone else.

I don’t know, I feel like they should be able to be sponsored or earn some money, but I also feel like this will be a huge dumpster fire that the NCAA will regret starting.

This article explains the NIL rules. The most surprising part is that they don’t all take effect this year. In 7 states they are effective all ready, others take effect next year, some in 2023. In New Jersey it’s not in effect until 2025. This in itself could affect recruiting.

Can anyone else see the potential for serious problems?
No… not any more than the world already has. No one should be restricted from doing what the rest of the world does just because they are a college athlete.

Colleges and everyone else will figure this out and learn to adapt.

I actually know an athlete in a different sport that dropped a scholarship because they were able to make so much off social media.

Things will change… the world will turn… most athletes will end up making very little or nothing off of this. Most of your dollars will go to the select few… the Livvy Dunne’s.

If she makes so much money would she give up her scholarship (if she has one) to a non scholarship gymnast who could really use that money or for recruiting new gymnast?

Why would she give up her scholarship? She has earned it and is maintaining it. The commitment to aD1 athletic program is huge.

Why would she give up her scholarship? She has earned it and is maintaining it. The commitment to aD1 athletic program is huge.
because she wouldn't need the money if she gets a lot from endorsements. she doesn't give up her spot on team, just the scholarship money

I wish Olivia Dunne was going to make money because of her gymnastics, or music, or something other than the pouty pics she posts to Instagram. Do they bother anyone else? I definitely don’t want my daughter looking up to her, thinking she needs to stick her butt out while wearing a bikini. Sorry, no love lost here.

I don’t know, I feel like they should be able to be sponsored or earn some money, but I also feel like this will be a huge dumpster fire that the NCAA will regret starting.
How does the NCAA have the right to say that someone can't make money off of their name and image? Just because they always have?

The NCAA isn't really the one doing this... they are being forced to...

I wish Olivia Dunne was going to make money because of her gymnastics, or music, or something other than the pouty pics she posts to Instagram. Do they bother anyone else? I definitely don’t want my daughter looking up to her, thinking she needs to stick her butt out while wearing a bikini. Sorry, no love lost here.
The way I see it... this is just the reality of social media in the world today.

I think this will seriously impact NCAA basketball recruitment.

Big market teams like Cal state and Houston will attract more endorsements for players and shoot up the rankings.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back