WAG NCAA chances

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I'm a 15-year-old girl, in the 9th grade. I really want to get into the NCAA as a gymnast. Preferably D1 but I'm open to any division really. The best skills I have currently are, bars- toe hecht, and free-hip hand, with a mental block on giants. beam- back walkover- back handspring, switch leap, and front pike dismount. floor- back full, front hand- front lay, split full, double full turn, and working on switch half. vault- tucked tsuk. (I'm also an Xcel Diamond) What do you think my chances are of college? Any tips?

You have 3-4 years, you could possibly land yourself a spot on a team, if you make it to Level 8/9/Sapphire. Or you could also be a part of an acro or tumbling team, and definitely a college club team no doubt.

Getting into a D1 program is hard for anyone. I'm sure you wouldn't need to look far to find a multi year level 10 who wanted to go D1 and didn't get the chance.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I think your best bet would be to get onto an Ivy League team if you're a great student. They care about things beyond gymnastics so if you have a legitimate chance of getting into a Ivy via regular channels you might be have a leg up.

Don't discount club gymnastics at a big D1 school. I knew tons of club gymnasts at Cal and University of Michigan. They competed a lot, had great team mates, and still loved gymnastics. Some of them were very talented as well -- they could have gone D3 but chose to focus on elite academics.

Hi! I'm late to this thread but just wanted to add my two cents. I am a retired gymnast. I "only" made it to D3 college gymnastics.

According to your post, there is still a possibility that you could be recruited into a D1 program. Unlikely, but possible. Why is it unlikely?

* You have a lot of skills to learn in two years
* A learned skill doesn't imply a competitive skill
* INJURY. I'm serious. The more you push your body and your mind outside of its comfort zone, the more you risk injury. Any injury you endure between now and ~2024 will likely eliminate you from D1 gymnastics.
* Things out of your control (e.g. family can't pay for tuition, coach retires, gym relocates, DID I SAY INJURY??? ... )

I don't want to discourage you. Your goals are theoretically possible, but I want to offer some perspective as someone who also had the same goal as you.

Hi! I'm late to this thread but just wanted to add my two cents. I am a retired gymnast. I "only" made it to D3 college gymnastics.

According to your post, there is still a possibility that you could be recruited into a D1 program. Unlikely, but possible. Why is it unlikely?

* You have a lot of skills to learn in two years
* A learned skill doesn't imply a competitive skill
* INJURY. I'm serious. The more you push your body and your mind outside of its comfort zone, the more you risk injury. Any injury you endure between now and ~2024 will likely eliminate you from D1 gymnastics.
* Things out of your control (e.g. family can't pay for tuition, coach retires, gym relocates, DID I SAY INJURY??? ... )

I don't want to discourage you. Your goals are theoretically possible, but I want to offer some perspective as someone who also had the same goal as you.
thank you so so much!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back