Parents NCAA eligibility rule changes and how it effects endorsements, commerical work ect.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymDad00

Proud Parent

So it looks like NCAA is moving toward allowing student athletes to seek out endorsement compensation and make money from their brand and social media accounts without effecting their NCAA eligibility.

We've been told my daughter can't do any gymnastic commercials, accept endorsements, or make even make money off gymnastic themed social media accounts without jeopardizing their NCAA eligibility? Is this all changing this year?

From the limited info I have read some places have started to make the move but it is far from finalized or accepted by NCAA so I would not jump to do anything yet. I would see how the chips fall before risking eligibility. But thats just me..and my kid has no pending money making opportunities :) I would say in the next 1-2 years it will be more finalized (either for or against) but right now beware I think its a bit of a gray zone.

I know nothing about NCAA eligibility, but I think it would be of great value to gymnasts to be able to earn some money off their sport without losing eligibility.

Athletes in other sports, can often have a long career to look forward to post college and a chance to monetize their skills. Not so for gymnastics, by the end of college rarely do they go on to further achievements in gymnastics, most peaking prior to attend college. Giving gymnasts the chance to earn money, while they are in their peak years seems only fair.

From the limited info I have read some places have started to make the move but it is far from finalized or accepted by NCAA so I would not jump to do anything yet. I would see how the chips fall before risking eligibility. But thats just me..and my kid has no pending money making opportunities :) I would say in the next 1-2 years it will be more finalized (either for or against) but right now beware I think its a bit of a gray zone.
My daughter is only 7, but we were called to audition for what we later found out was a national commerical campaign. We were told we’d couldn’t accept any payment for it without affecting her NCAA eligibility. For the kind of money a national commercial pays we probably would have just invested the money and paid for her college with the proceeds. But I also find it ridiculous that a decision like that could jeopardize her chances to be a NCAA gymnast?

Im curious if all those actresses in those gymnastic movies on Netflix are disqualified from being NCAA gymnasts? Even if it was like a non speaking role they got paid $300 for the day. Or more realistic, if those YOUTUBE gymnasts who make money from their Instagram channels are all disqualified too?

My daughter is only 7, but we were called to audition for what we later found out was a national commerical campaign. We were told we’d couldn’t accept any payment for it without affecting her NCAA eligibility. For the kind of money a national commercial pays we probably would have just invested the money and paid for her college with the proceeds. But I also find it ridiculous that a decision like that could jeopardize her chances to be a NCAA gymnast?

Im curious if all those actresses in those gymnastic movies on Netflix are disqualified from being NCAA gymnasts? Even if it was like a non speaking role they got paid $300 for the day. Or more realistic, if those YOUTUBE gymnasts who make money from their Instagram channels are all disqualified too?
For the younger YouTube gymnasts, they weren't making money on their channels, the parents were (can we say "gray area"???).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back