NCAA NCAA Regionals/Post-season, who ya got?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym_dad32608

Proud Parent
The regional sites have been announced now. Ultimately, the title is going to either UF, Oklahoma or Michigan feel pretty confident in saying that. Any of those teams going 24/24 is superior to everyone else in the field. Anyone else in the field would need all 3 to go 22/24 in order to have a chance which seems highly unlikely. The "easiest" region seems to me to be Auburn. Kentucky can make some noise if someone slips, but can't see a depleted Denver threatening anyone. The hardest seems to be the Raleigh regional, schizo LSU AND UCLA (how poetic to be paired in the same region) along with a surging Mizzou. Will be really interesting to see who the second team coming out of that regional is. A close second to that is the Washington regional, especially with the unknown of Luisa Blanco injury. Should be fun. I really am hoping the Gators finally shed the slumping post-season narrative and capture their 4th title. With parity this year, there is little room for any mistakes for any team.

Auburn Regional (Auburn University, host)
Teams
  • Florida
  • *Auburn
  • Kentucky
  • Denver
  • Ohio State
  • Georgia
  • Southern Utah
  • Iowa State
  • Western Michigan
Norman Regional (University of Oklahoma, host)
Teams
  • *Oklahoma
  • Minnesota
  • California
  • Arizona State
  • Arkansas
  • Boise State
  • Utah State
  • West Virginia
  • Arizona
Raleigh Regional (North Carolina State University, host)
Teams
  • Michigan
  • LSU
  • Missouri
  • UCLA
  • Maryland
  • Iowa
  • *North Carolina State
  • Towson
  • North Carolina
Seattle Regional (University of Washington, host)
Teams
  • Utah
  • Alabama
  • Michigan State
  • Oregon State
  • Illinois
  • BYU
  • *Washington
  • Stanford
  • San Jose State

We are away this weekend at D3 nationals. Really too bad because would love to see the Raleigh meets

I would love to see an Auburn upset, or at least a Suni win the bars title competing the Nabieva and Derrian Gobourne win the floor title. I love her routine. I would like to see Trinity take the AA title. I do believe Florida will have to hit 24/24 to take the win. Pressure could play a factor. I think it could be any team’s night, just depends on who gets hit and who can handle the pressure.

I would love to see an Auburn upset, or at least a Suni win the bars title competing the Nabieva and Derrian Gobourne win the floor title. I love her routine. I would like to see Trinity take the AA title. I do believe Florida will have to hit 24/24 to take the win. Pressure could play a factor. I think it could be any team’s night, just depends on who gets hit and who can handle the pressure.
I dont think auburn will have a problem coming out of their region and making it to nationals especially since they get to do it at home in front of their crowd. Remember its the top two teams that move on to nationals. I do agree though, there is enough parity that in order to advance, even Florida, they need to go 23 or 24/24. The pressure will be on for everyone!

I dont think auburn will have a problem coming out of their region and making it to nationals especially since they get to do it at home in front of their crowd. Remember its the top two teams that move on to nationals. I do agree though, there is enough parity that in order to advance, even Florida, they need to go 23 or 24/24. The pressure will be on for everyone!

I should have specified better, I would love to see Auburn upset everyone and take the National title, but it would definitely take mistakes from other teams. But Auburn should make it out of the regional without issue. I just love that there are so many great teams this year. It makes everything that much more exciting when you know that so many teams have a legit shot at that title and they will all have to bring their A game and hit lights out!

Agreed, I can see one of the 3 stumbling at nationals but all 3 stumbling would be an incredible turn of events. Still there is no room for error for anyone, no reason that a Kentucky or Mizzou, or Cal or Minn cant get into nationals if someone stumbles

Pretty good set of semi-finals. Surprised to see LSU implode and not advance. In what some may say is a twist of karma, UCLA gets on fire and easily advances. Alabama looks to be peaking at the right time even with a limited Blanco. Oklahoma also seems to be doing Oklahoma things. Love to see UF finally coming to the post-season party. Michigan looks vulnerable? Is Auburn tired? How about Stanford coming out of the play-in meet to make it to the finals!

Pretty good set of semi-finals. Surprised to see LSU implode and not advance. In what some may say is a twist of karma, UCLA gets on fire and easily advances. Alabama looks to be peaking at the right time even with a limited Blanco. Oklahoma also seems to be doing Oklahoma things. Love to see UF finally coming to the post-season party. Michigan looks vulnerable? Is Auburn tired? How about Stanford coming out of the play-in meet to make it to the finals!
Yes, what an exciting day/evening! That last meet...I would've been happy for Oregon to advance, but so excited for Stanford and fun to see a Cinderella story!! And Iowa's reaction when they realized they were in. I was very impressed by Alabama also; you are right about them peaking, even with Luisa injured. I missed Florida b/c getting daughter from gym, but looking forward to Saturday.

Well the nationals are set. Other than a minor controversy with the NC State regional (was she OOB?, should she even gotten that high of a score?) pretty much as expected. So now do we take away anything from the regional performances to predict what is going to happen at nationals?

If so, The Gators finally after the 4 previous years of fading away look to genuinely be the favorite to win. They appear to be on a collision course with Oklahoma, another tie for the title maybe? Michigan will be right there putting pressure on everyone. Utah too. I think the only question is who is going to be in the 4 spot for the final 4, Alabama or Utah? They were both really close in the regionals with Utah edging them out. Of course the usual caveat of not counting a fall which would open the door for any of the other teams remains.

If Florida continues to be on fire, I think they will win. Michigan second

I think it's Florida to lose. I'd love see Utah in the mix, if only to see their beam. But I must say, I'm impressed with Alabama's depth, they seem to be peaking right now.

I think it's Florida to lose. I'd love see Utah in the mix, if only to see their beam. But I must say, I'm impressed with Alabama's depth, they seem to be peaking right now.
Agreed, about 2 years ago I was starting to put Duckworth on par with Kupets's performance/results, but the last two years, she has them peaking strong at the end and certainly are in the mix. I think they will be a threat in next couple of years and onward.

A bit off topic, but speaking of Kupet, I'll be curious to see what happens here next, and so curious to see who Clemson brings on board.

I think Kupets gets one, maybe two more years. The Georgia athletic program changed its direction about 10 years ago and decided that the only sport that matters is football, so all secondary sports get little scrutiny. Although it would not surprise me if she does get fired, I mean it doesn't take much to look at who they are losing, who they have coming in, and how they have been performing to see it is going to get worse before better.

Clemson will be interesting, does the AD make the rational researched hire for a coach that can build a program, or do they just hire the fun "flavor" to get looks (Ross). I think they go for DII coach or assistants (McCool-Griffeths).

I'm looking for either Minnesota or Mizzou to go all the way!

I'm looking for either Minnesota or Mizzou to go all the way!
It would be fun, but highly unlikely. Of course, anyone can have a bad day, heck even just an average day the way parity is now....
I think Mizzou has the best shot given the semifinal they are in with only Michigan and Florida the strong favorites. Minn is in a much tougher semifinal to advance with Alabama, Oklahoma, and Utah all coming in very very strong.

If I was betting money... I'd probably bet on Florida.

Certainly coming out of regionals, but two weeks from now, different location and equipment. The recent history of poor results, who knows?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back