NCAA rules regarding fundraising for High School gymnasts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymMomNC

Hello,

We are in the process of rewriting our bylaws for our parents association at our gym. We have a few high school girls on our team, and want to make sure we don't make them ineleigible for college gymnastics with our fundraising. Can someone clarify (or point us in the right direction) as to what the rules are for this?

Our gym wants to adopt a points system, where each dollar earned by fundraising is worth points which they can use to offset costs. The fundraising would mostly be done by the parents. We decided to see how this would work as we have had problems in the past (like many others) with families not helping AT ALL with fundraising, but reaping large benefits due to our current bylaws.

Any help or clarification would be GREATLY appreciated!

I don't know the rules, but I wanted to mention to make sure to check the IRS rules on non-profits as well. Our booster club considered adopting a similar system, but decided against it based on advice from our tax person--the paperwork for the IRS would be extensive.

not sure, but believe fundraising for the group is OK, but not sponsorships and/or personal fundraising

IM with Cathiann on this one. Be very careful with any kind of points system. I agree that the inequity in volunteering can be frustrating, but if your club is registered as a non-profit with the IRS then you are going to have to follow their rules. I don't know that much about NCAA rules, but again, be careful and be sure to consult with an accountant on both issues before you go forward with this idea.

Another voice of warning on this. If you are a 501(c)(3) organization or other registered IRS non-profit, a point system is not allowed. As a federal non-profit, you cannot conduct fund raising for individuals as opposed to a group. Talk to your accountant about this issue before setting up any kind of individual account or point system.

As for NCAA eligibility rules, you'd probably want to check with that organization. I do know that a gymnast is not permitted to take money for competition expenses from anyone other than a family member. Any other kind of sponsorship will cause ineligibility at the NCAA level.

Something I just remembered--our booster club can't require the members to put in so many hours of volunteering in order to participate in the funds raised, BUT the head coach CAN require that. They have the team members write a check to the gym each year--she holds onto the check and only cashes it in the spring, if the parents don't put in their booster club time. It's still not a perfect system, but at least they have to put some time in anyway.

Cathiann... our gym will begin implementing that same policy for next season. It's just ridiculous that w/over 70 team members, it's the same 10 people who do EVERYTHING!!! There was actually some talk about dissolving the Booster Club b/c no one wants to run for office. That still remains to be seen. Elections are coming up and so far no one is willing to run for President or VP. But IF there continues to be a Booster Club, writing that 100.00 check at the beginning of the season IS an option that will be enforced. Thank goodnes!

We actually looked into at old gym and I believe that to be non-profit, you cannot require parents to do anything, including join the booster club. But any profit raised has to be for the benefit of all gymnast on the team. I also remember something about the gym not being able to require anything of the parents either, except to pay monthly tuition bill. Old gym actually incorporate as a for-profit, because they knew too many parent would never pull their share otherwise. At new gym, we haven't formed parent group. I've been helping owner, and almost everything just goes through her. I actually prefer it. I'm not against booster clubs (I served as Treasurer one year and President the next), but see too few help out and then have big opinions of where any money gets spent.

If you operate with individual accounts for gymnast, you may affect their NCAA eligibility. Since they would retain any profit from individual fundraisers, they in a sense being supported by individuals, even if it is by buying a product from a sale. I would contact someone if this the way you want to go.

I would really appreciate if anyone one else has a link to info about NCAA rules. We MUST be in compliance with their rules but after 6 hours of internet searching.....nothing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back