WAG NCAA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Agymnast

Gymnast
Just thought I would start a discussion post. I'm so excited for this NCAA season; with so many new elite freshmen its sure to be interesting. Who are you most excited to see? Any predictions for specific teams this year?
My thoughts: so excited to see Riley hopefully healthy and enjoying herself. Excited to see Suni of course.
Think Michigan is likely to retain their national title but Florida, LSU will def. contend. Rooting for Arkansas to make nationals!

I cant wait for the NCAA season. I think it is going to be the most talented group of teams probably in a long long time. Honestly, between the incoming crops of elite/olympians AND the returning 5th year seniors for their extra COVID year, there is going to be a ton of talent bouncing around in the NCAA. On paper Michigan is definitely in the mix, my concern with them is that they really didn't get better through addition/subtraction. They still have the same team from last year, although a mighty strong team, versus many of the other teams who not only have the same team but added some real talent. I am a huge Gator fan, so I am hopeful that Morgan does join the team (I am skeptical that she is). Still, between Riley, Leanne and Sloane, they have added much depth and even higher scoring potential across the board. The concern is Jenny still has to get the poor postseason coaching monkey off her back. The team I really like this year is Utah, between the returning 5th years, the incoming freshman and the solid mix of under/upper classpersons I can see them walking away with the title. I am still not sold on UCLA and Waller. It would also be a lot to expect all those super talented freshman to suddenly flip the switch for UCLA but who knows? The sleeper team for me is LSU. They are very talented and under performed last year, idk if that was injury, covid or what but they are under the radar right now, and all 4 (or 5?) of their seniors are coming back for their 5th year. If Michigan finally broke through last year, I can see LSU doing it this year. Its going to be a fun year for college gymnastics.

I am going to have to say Utah. They are bringing in 3 Olympians as freshmen (Grace, Kara, and Amelie Morgan from GB). Between those 3 and the depth and talent they already have, I just see this team being huge. Oregon State could be a sleeper. They are getting Phoebe Jabuczyk (GB and I KNOW I didn't spell her last name correctly) and Jade Carey was supposed to be going...is she still?

Unpopular opinion, I would love to see college teams made up of college level gymnasts not former Olympians recruited from all over the world. So few gymnasts make it to that level I think college is a great time for fabulous level 10s to shine.

so I am hopeful that Morgan does join the team (I am skeptical that she is).
Sounds like she's joining in January if at all.
As a Brit I'm so excited to see Utah and Oregon!
Jade Carey is going to Oregon she has already started online classes
Unpopular opinion, I would love to see college teams made up of college level gymnasts not former Olympians recruited from all over the world. So few gymnasts make it to that level I think college is a great time for fabulous level 10s to shine.
This. But then I'm also excited so see some former elites enjoying gymnastics again (thinking Riley, Kara, Suni) in a different environment.

I am going to have to say Utah. They are bringing in 3 Olympians as freshmen (Grace, Kara, and Amelie Morgan from GB). Between those 3 and the depth and talent they already have, I just see this team being huge. Oregon State could be a sleeper. They are getting Phoebe Jabuczyk (GB and I KNOW I didn't spell her last name correctly) and Jade Carey was supposed to be going...is she still?

I dont see Oregon State being a sleeper any more than Auburn being a sleeper and that is also kinda my counter-point to your second comment. Oregon state struggled last year and even with Carey joining that is only one out of 5 routines needed. Same thing with Auburn. I would argue that the beauty of college gymnastics is that it levels out all the elites/olympians. It's a team sport in college, so just having one or even two olympians or elites doesn't guarantee anything. Look at Michigan, they showed what a team of amazing level 10's can do. The number of international olympians doing college gymnastics is pretty small, maybe a handful (correct me if I am wrong).

I've been a Georgia fan since the 90s, just wish they would get it together. It seems like Courtney would have strong recruiting potential but they don't seem to attract the elites like UCLA or Florida do.

I've been a Georgia fan since the 90s, just wish they would get it together. It seems like Courtney would have strong recruiting potential but they don't seem to attract the elites like UCLA or Florida do.
I agree, that has been a head scratcher. Despite being a gator, I have spent a lot of time in Athens and its a solid university with a great campus. Facilities are strong and they get a ton of support. It just seems like they are in a program rut right now.

Happy New Year! Just revisiting this post meets start this weekend! Hopefully, I see UCLA postponed theirs and I think WVU backed out at LSU. But, excited to see the teams with their new add-ons and corona seniors. I will be at the Gator meet. I was at their intra-squad. Leanne Wong is the real deal. I think she is going to surprise a lot of people this year. Morgan Hurd just showed up on campus, so yay, but probably wont see her till middle of season. And they are taking Riley very slow. She only did floor and limited bars. Cant wait for the season to play out!

DD18 is going to college about 25 minutes down the road from U of Michigan, so she and a friend are planning to see some of the home meets. She's a huge fan and is very excited to be so close and able to attend some of the meets!

She is also scheduled to compete NAIGC with her college club team this year. Hoping for a schedule soon. First meet was already canceled due to covid concerns. :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back