Parents Need Advice- How to responde to DD on Mental Blocks, Frustration, etc

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

let it go. tell her no more talking about negative UNLESS she can add ONE positive that happened at practice. otherwise? then no talking about gym at all. :)
I actually have my child do this...it has worked wonders. She started out by being sarcastic "the good was I got over the vault table," complete with eye roll...:rolleyes:...but now she truly does think of the good first. Which is lovely. Really!

I'm watching this thread like a hawk. DD was supposed to compete 7 this year and had a bad fall 1 week before season. Mental blocking on layouts on floor now and bhs on beam. We moved her to L6 for season, it's been highly successful and she's competed round off on beam all season. She is super freaked to go back to 7 due to these two skills. I try to talk to her about it and she gets upset.
Good luck to your dd, and you!

In terms of something specific to say: Whenever Kipper expresses frustration with a skill she can't get, or with a block of some sort, I have found it most helpful to say: "You did it once. You can do it again. I know you will. As soon as your ready. That may be next week, next month, or next year." I add a shrug and try to be as nonchalant as possible. Sometimes they need our confidence. (and sometimes we just fake it until we make it)

I have found it most helpful to say: "You did it once. You can do it again. I know you will. As soon as your ready. That may be next week, next month, or next year." I add a shrug and try to be as nonchalant as possible. Sometimes they need our confidence. (and sometimes we just fake it until we make it)
Oh my goodness, yes. I swear I could win at poker with how I handle this....why aren't there prizes for parents at meets? We deserve them!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back