Parents Need advice on camp options

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymCat2020

Proud Parent
DD is 10 and a Jr.B Excel Silver gymnast with goals of moving into JO.

We're looking at various camp opps. University of AL? University of OK? Bart Connor Gym? Karoyli ranch? ICG?

Basically, for a girl in it for the long haul and eye on eventually competing at higher levels, what is the best way to develop skills this year? She wants a "hard work/goal oriented camp" as opposed to "fun" per se. She's driven.

Does your team go to any camp? If so, and if she can travel with the team, I'd recommend that.

I can't speak for the others, but Pea did IGC for a few years. It is definitely not a goal oriented camp/skill acquisition camp. They evaluate you on your first day (bars and floor) and group you accordingly for the week. You can work harder skills but they have LOTS of hands on you, the kids are never allowed to throw skills solo. For example, Pea had her full on the floor but they would only let her do it in the pit with a spot. She's bowing out this year, which finally saves me some money! :rolleyes:

I can't speak for the others, but Pea did IGC for a few years. It is definitely not a goal oriented camp/skill acquisition camp. They evaluate you on your first day (bars and floor) and group you accordingly for the week. You can work harder skills but they have LOTS of hands on you, the kids are never allowed to throw skills solo. For example, Pea had her full on the floor but they would only let her do it in the pit with a spot. She's bowing out this year, which finally saves me some money! :rolleyes:
THANK YOU! This is great to know. We're definitely looking for a camp where she can develop her skills. Appreciate your input.

Finding a camp to develop her skills may be difficult. Camps thrive on the "fun." And for gymnasts the "fun" is getting to do new skills, so that means often spotted skills that gymnasts don't actually "have." There generally is not a focus on form or conditioning to get the skills needed. I think Camp can be lots of fun for girls, but don't expect to use it as a means to move up levels. Getting new skills correctly involves conditioning, progressions, drills…all of which takes planning and time.

For what you are looking for, I would look into a college camp. The ones near us seem more serious than the sleep away summer camps.

What region are you in? This would help. And how far do you want to go for a camp?
Myself, I would cross a state line or two, but that would be all we could swing finsncially.

I agree with what everyone has said, but I can highly recommend the Alabama and OU camps for fun and trying new skills. I agree that college camps are the way to go, but ultimately the best way to learn skills is in your home gym with steady progressions.

I also agree with college camp. They are more skill driven. My daughter goes to University of Nebraska also and always has a great time and learns a lot. Not only does she pick up new skills but seeing the older girls motivates her to try new things as well.

We go to a college camp as well. This summer will be our third go. I have found they work for getting my DD's courage up for the new things they are learning for the next level. She has yet to walk away with a new skill. But being with the older college girls who "are freaking amazing" (quote from daughter), really helps get her re -energized for the next season, builds confidence and they just make it really fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back