need advice on which gym to work for

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I went last night for my first day of a three day working interview at the close gym. I was with the Prep ops and the 2 level 7s. I didn't like it at all. I thought I was going to love it, because I wanted to get back in the gym so badly. But I didn't like the head coach. It took an hour and a half to warm up because she would alternate between yelling at the girls and letting them tell her stories. Then I had two groups on bars. The prep ops were typical for their level, they were fine to work with, except thats not what I want to do. The 7s were really bad. They said they've been scoring high 6s to low 7s all year. Plus they are older, and bigger. Not a lot I could do with them, unfortunately. I still have two more days, and today I work with the level 3/4s so maybe I'll like it better. But right now, I'm leaning toward the head coach position at the small gym. It has become apparent to me that I need to do things the way I think will work.

I just got an email from the guy with the team program director position saying he thought my resume looked good, but they aren't hiring until after summer because their numbers are down. I was really hoping for that one. I don't know what to do.

If it was me - I would take the HC position. It is your dream and there you can call the shots - (re)build things like you like them - and pad your resume if/when something else opens up. The drive is not that big a deal - you might have to trade in your Hummer for a Prius (one with good gas pedals). But once you get into the groove of the drive - I bet it would not be so bad.

Do I consider the girls from my old gym when choosing a new one to work at? I'd love to be able to continue working with them, and I know they and their parents like me.

If it was me - I would take the HC position. It is your dream and there you can call the shots - (re)build things like you like them - and pad your resume if/when something else opens up. The drive is not that big a deal - you might have to trade in your Hummer for a Prius (one with good gas pedals). But once you get into the groove of the drive - I bet it would not be so bad.

I agree. And once there you might even consider the move. Yes your young but you just might see you can handle this. You said it was your dream job so that might have alot to do with not liking the closer one too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back