Parents Need all posititve thoughts and prayers....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
I truly believe in the power of positive thoughts and prayers and am asking for any that everyone is willing to lend our way....

For those that don't know dd broke her 5th metatarsal back on 1/19 and has had a cast that covers basically her entire foot (including all but her big toe and the one next to it) and it comes all the way up to below her knee. The way it is casted the foot is slightly pointed so she can not walk without crutches.

Well, she was supposed to compete in Texas this coming weekend and although she will not be competing, we are still going. This is where my problem comes. She was due to go back to the Ortho on 2/16, the day after we return from TX. Due to the way she is casted, showering is a real pain in the tush. She basically sits in a plastic lawn chair in our shower stall and we have to use the cast cover too. This will make for a lot of "fun" when we are away PLUS she really wants to swim (what 13 yr old kid doesn't want to swim while staying in a hotel!) At first, I was like no way are swimming you have a cast and it's not waterproof yadda, yadda, yadda THEN I started to think well she can't compete, she can't do anything - all she wants to do is swim. So I thought, well let me see what I can come up with and maybe rig something up for her to be able to go to the pool.

One day last week, I was at the gym and talking to another Mom that we are travelling with and tell her how dd wants to swim. I said what's the big deal, even if the cast gets a little wet we are going to the Ortho right when we come back. The other Mom said, why don't you see if the Ortho will take the cast off before we leave! Hey, what a brilliant idea!!!

Well, I finally got the nerve to call the Ortho yesterday and asked if they would be willing to put her in a boot before we went to TX. Well, they said that we could get the x-ray before we came in and they could see where we are in her progress. She is getting the x-ray today after school and will go to the Ortho on Thursday, the day before we leave for TX.

This is where the positive thoughts and prayers are needed! We are hoping that they tell us that she is healed or is very close to being healed. Dd's goal is to come back to compete in States and that is a little over 5 weeks from now. I believe it is possible and continue to think positive in regards to her healing. Fingers are crossed - toes too! I'll post an update on Thursday after we get back... :thumbsup:

ohhhh! That was a Great idea!! Good luck with the X-Ray!

Getting the cast off early would certainly make the Tx Trip much more fun!

Granny Smith I had no idea this happened. How disappointing for your daughter. Sending healing prayers her way! I'm sure sitting on the sidelines in Texas will be difficult but I'm praying she'll be ready to compete for States! Keep us posted!

Thanks - the fact that there is a huge mall right near where we will be while we are in Texas has helped her get over the fact that she will not be competing! Teenagers ;)

Granny Smith I had no idea this happened. How disappointing for your daughter. Sending healing prayers her way! I'm sure sitting on the sidelines in Texas will be difficult but I'm praying she'll be ready to compete for States! Keep us posted!

Good wishes your way. Just a thought, my dd has had a cast on every summer since level 5 now level 8 and we live at the beach. Our ortho. suggested that we try the waterproof cast they now have available. They can swim without having to worry about the cast getting wet. It is a wonderful invention and it may be too late in the process for you dd but maybe if she has to continue in the cast or if this can help others, I thought I would suggest it.

Sending all my good thoughts her way. I so hope this goes well for her. She deserves a spot of good luck anyway!

I think I would of definitely went that route if it were summer but right now I'm sitting in about 2 feet of snow with another 12-18 inches expected tonight - I guess we just didn't think about swimming! :rotfl:

Wow though on your dd being in a cast every summer, what a bummer! :(

Good wishes your way. Just a thought, my dd has had a cast on every summer since level 5 now level 8 and we live at the beach. Our ortho. suggested that we try the waterproof cast they now have available. They can swim without having to worry about the cast getting wet. It is a wonderful invention and it may be too late in the process for you dd but maybe if she has to continue in the cast or if this can help others, I thought I would suggest it.

Loads and loads of good thoughts and prayers are headed to you.

Sending you lots of healing thoughts. I hope that it is all healed and that she can get her cast off. Not being able to compete while in TX sucks and it would be really nice to be able to enjoy the rest of the trip.

Ok, somehow I either missed the broken bone thing all together or managed to forget !! Sorry : )

sending the super healing fairies, the please put me in a boot so I can at least swim fairies and some have a great trip fairies. Maybe a snow plow fairy too !!!

lots of prayers and positive vibes being sent from Snowy northern Ohio...

Sean

Sending you fast healing wishes and cast coming off today or tomorrow. Will you make it out to TX with the Storm that is hitting East? I will send you all the positive I can.

You are too funny....get up the nerve to call the Ortho...don't be scared of those doctors Granny! I can't see why they wouldn't allow her to put on a boot except because of where the FX is a boot may not offer enough protection. Sending you healing ~vibes~ and hope it's boot-a-licious all the way to TX! After all the NJ snow, swimming sounds like just what she needs. Take me too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back