WAG Need help connecting bar routine..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I'm in level 4 and I can't connect my kip to a horizontal cast or horizontal cast to squat on. I do my kip and then I have to change my grip. I have to put my thumb under?? I feel like if I don't put my thumb under I'm going to lean over to far and fall. Any suggestions would be great appreciated☺️

It took me 4 months go connect a kip to even the smallest cast. 8 months later, still struggling a bit. But try to not put your thumb under. Make sure you have a nice solid kip. Lean over the bar in your kip with your shoulders and push your legs back if that makes sense. Do you have a video?

Practice casts without your thumb under. Then try connecting the two again.

OR

Work on sliding your thumb around the bar during the cast. I've seen it done by a level 10 gymnast to a cast handstand so I know it's possible, but as a gymnast who does not do this I can't give you any specifics.

As your pushing off the bar for the cast slide your thumb around so that it's around during the cast. You'll then have to slide it back to the top next to your other fingers to perform the following skill(s), so I recommend my first suggestion--but to each their own.

I'm just a mom but I'm pretty sure you need the hand strength with the thumb on top to smoothly connect the skills, my understanding is that wrapped thumbs on girls bars are only for front giants and similar skills...per my L8 DD and L8 DS who of course know EVERYTHING...

It generally takes a long time to connect all those skills smoothly - the girls I saw connect them easily were the tiny thin ones who swing really well on bars - DD took almost her whole year of old L5 to smoothly connect a whole bars routine but less than a year later had a great and connected L7 bars routine - so for her I know it was the difference between muscling through the skills and learning the rhythm of the connections - plus strength and lots of practice. Now she's back to muscling through L8 bars skills after puberty changed her body proportions.

I think repeated kips and repeated kips to casts without the rest of the skills have been a huge part of bars for her team (of course now its kip cast handstands or 10 kips in a row, or kip castHS pirouette, etc) so that the connections eventually come naturally...

give it time....its hard stuff you're trying to do - even at L4!

Connecting

When you are doing you kip even if you are not doing it with a cast make sure you hands In your kip are spread apart enough for you hips to fit so your casts won't be on top of your hands.❤️when you are swinging your arms make sure they are to the side of you and not in front of you. If they are in front of you they will be closer together then they would be on the side of you.

Work on your hand strength. Practice casts with your thumb next to your hand (not wrapped around.) Make sure your head is in and you are hollow on your casts and push away through your shoulders. When you kip, try just connecting a tiny cast at first, so you get used to the feel of the immediate cast.

It is much safer to learn to not wrap your thumb. You have to get over the mental fear of falling over the bar, your thumbs are to what will stop you form this anyways.

I train at 2 gyms 1 which was a more elite gym did casts thumbs wrapped around. I found this a lot more safe when doing casts but found it tricky when doing kip casts. The other gym which is my regular gym is completely against thumbs under do with lots of practise without thumbs under I am used to it now.

It is much safer to learn to not wrap your thumb. You have to get over the mental fear of falling over the bar, your thumbs are to what will stop you form this anyways.

It doesn't really matter on a cast. Swinging yes, casts eh. can be hard to convert between being under the bar and on top but tons of high level athletes do it.

In this case I would just say try a few different things and keep practice bars, lots of kip casts, you will figure out how to do it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back