need new drills for handstand forward rolls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone have any ideas for helping beginners to "get" their handstand forward rolls? Most of my beginning gymnasts hate doing them and I try to think of different ways to SHOW and TELL them what to do and I've been trying different stations during our floor time such as walking their feet up a wedge mat - holding handstand for "3" - forward roll down or putting the octagon standing up with the wedge on the opposite side so they reach down to a handstand and then roll.... but when it comes to just doing it on the REGULAR floor they have issues and it's frustrating..... Any ideas???? Thanks -- Angela.

Help?

Somethings i used to do with my level 2's and 3's for handstand rolls were: handstand roll up an incline mat to lessen the blow, or lay on a spotting block, hands on the floor kick to a handstand and roll (this helps so the handstand is easier to kick to they are all ready half way there. Also teach them a candlestick so when they roll out of a handstand they should show the candlestick. They could also do handstand fall flat onto an 8 incher so they get used to the handstand.

Those are some great ideas! I guess I've always just spotted them. One of the most important things when teachign a handstand forward roll, and i'm sure you're aware of this, is to make sure the gymnast rolls on the back of their head, not the top. Hitting the top of the head creates easier access to more neck injuries.

Those are some great ideas! I guess I've always just spotted them. One of the most important things when teachign a handstand forward roll, and i'm sure you're aware of this, is to make sure the gymnast rolls on the back of their head, not the top. Hitting the top of the head creates easier access to more neck injuries.

I would go even farther than that and say the head should never touch the ground.

If a gymnast is having a hard time with them, I spot them. Otherwise I just do the normal...rolls onto mats...waterfall drills.

I love teaching handstand FWR's to my boys rec. classes on the rod floor. It's great fun to watch them body slam themselves over and over and over.:laughing:

Try doing ....

What about taking a step back and doing headstand forward rolls....teaches them to push correctly with their arms, allows their chin to drop onto their chest to correctly perform the roll and gives them the idea of being inverted and then performing a forward roll...or what about a tri-pod or frog stand kind of shape into the forward roll?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back