WAG Need opinions on hourly rate for increased summer hours.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
Hello everybody!

I am going to be increasing my team's training hours over the summer break to really capitalize on training new skills and getting them ready for the next competitive season, with the goal of moving them all up to the next level. I am very excited for this because I'm going to be teaching lots of new skills, and I know all the girls will be super excited to move on into new territory.

I currently have two training groups, one less experienced group, and one more advanced. They both come six hours a week; two practices at three hours each. The two most advanced girls come three practices a week. I took the pre-team rate from our sister gym ($8.00/hr.) and used that as the tuition for my team. It came out to $190.00 a month. The two advanced girls pay $250.00 per month.

The way I'm breaking the summer schedule down is a bit complicated, but it's the most efficient way for me to have 12 girls split into manageable groups without needing an assistant coach. Basically, there are now three training groups: novice, intermediate, and advanced (I don't like to label the groups by Xcel level because I don't want the parents or kids to have any solid expectations, and I like organizing them by other factors besides just the skills in a given level). We'll call them group 1, group 2, and group 3. Here's the breakdown:

Group 1
  • 3 practices/wk.
  • 3 hour practices
  • 9 hours/wk.
Group 2
  • 3 practices/wk.
  • 4 hour practices
  • 12 hours/wk.
Group 3
  • 4 practices/wk.
  • 4 hour practices
  • 16 hours/wk.

I'm also planning on adding an optional TOPs-style conditioning program that will run once a week, and that any of the gymnasts can join, regardless of level. It will run for two hours and be strictly based on TOPs requirements (the strength, flexibility, and skills).

What I want to know is, what would you charge hourly for each group? If you are a parent with a gymmie at these hours, what are you paying? If you are a coach, what are you charging parents for this amount of hours? What would be a reasonable increase from the $190.00/month they are currently paying? Also, what are your opinions on the cost of the two hour TOPs practice? I am located in Northern New Jersey in a nice area, although I wouldn't say it's affluent. I know cost of living can vary substantially by region in the U.S. so being on the East Coast will probably cause the prices to be reasonably higher than, say, living in South Carolina or Georgia. I have already made some calculations, and came up with some different situations. I just want to see what my ChalkBucket family has to say! :)

16+ hours a week? Do you have any plans to compete level 4? I would expect the tuition for these hours in NJ to be roughly $275, $300, and $350. But if you were already charging $250 a month for 9 hours (right? Or was the third practice shorter for those girls) I guess you could stay with that.

My current plan is to do one more year of Xcel, and then have the girls score out of Level 4 and 5 in our third season, essentially converting the team to JO. The girls that are not up to those levels or are not able to score out will compete the appropriate JO level for that season.

I am currently charging $250.00 for nine hours a week for the advanced girls. From my understanding, most gyms charge less for their Xcel teams because it is supposed to be a more affordable option. This was the reasoning behind using the other gym's pre-team rate. I suppose when I switch the team to JO in the future I should increase the price, too.

I can't answer you, because our experience hasn't lined up with these numbers in any way at all, but I will say kudos to you (again) for taking the time to ask around and care how the change will affect the kids due to price.

I think $250, $300, and $350 per month would be reasonable and around what I would expect based on what you currently charge them. It's typical for the hourly rate to drop at least a little with increased hours.

My current plan is to do one more year of Xcel, and then have the girls score out of Level 4 and 5 in our third season, essentially converting the team to JO. The girls that are not up to those levels or are not able to score out will compete the appropriate JO level for that season.

I am currently charging $250.00 for nine hours a week for the advanced girls. From my understanding, most gyms charge less for their Xcel teams because it is supposed to be a more affordable option. This was the reasoning behind using the other gym's pre-team rate. I suppose when I switch the team to JO in the future I should increase the price, too.

Well, most Xcel teams practice less hours than JO too. Also, $8/hr would be extremely high rate for 16 hours. The cost per hour is going to go down as the hours go up, otherwise no one would be able to afford level 10 :) I wouldn't expect anything under Diamond Xcel to practice 16 hours a week (though I could see gold/plat doing these hours, no one seems to ever go more than three days a week for those here and yet are still really competitive). I would assume their tuition is more affordable because of lower practice hours =lower tuition. I can't see much logic in going the same hours but just charging less because Xcel is supposed to be more affordable. But I guess since you don't have a JO team you're not exactly charging a premium there. So it might not matter as much right now, but I would assume in the future when you have JO and Xcel, just randomly charging more for the same hours won't go over well.

Agree, most gyms here operate a sliding scale of discount as the hours go up - for example, my dd recently dropped a day due to school commitments (2 1/2 hour session) and her monthly fees only dropped £12 as we went down a discount band. They also here tend to "top out" at a level, after which, no matter what the hours, the tuition does not go up. This is funded by the rec programme.

At our gym, xcel is billed at a higher rate than JO. 6 hours of xcel is 270 a month. 9 hours of xcel is 302 a month.11 hours of JO is 330 a month, 15 hours is 400 a month, and 18 hours is 410 a month. We are in a very high cost of living area.

I agree that as hours increase, the price per hour should go down or you may price girls right out of the program.
By the time they are going 16 hours a week, I think $325 is plenty per month.
12 hours - $280
9 hours - $235 (I know you currently do $250, but I think this is more fair)
Now, the TOPS style class, you could charge a little higher "per hour" rate ... and $75

Region 5, suburbia
L2 6 hours a week 216$
L3 9 hours a week 263$
L4 11 hours a week 280$
L5-7 15 hours a week 302$
L8-10 18 hours a week 325$
TOPs 2.5 hours a week 27$

Those hours seem high to me, but I know they aren't unheard of so not necessarily a problem. I will say, though, that our gym is large and has a very competitive JO team as well as a great xcel team. Their model seems to be working very well and our per hour rate also significantly decreases as hours go up. For example, 7.5 hours was $170 per month & 13 is $220. Hope that helps!

xcel:
bronze trains 4 hours
silver trains 5 hours;
gold 7.5;
plat 10.5;
diamond 13.

meanwhile, JO:
preteam 6-8 hours;
level 4 trains 13;
levels 5-8 train 20 hours;
levels 9-10 train 20-24 hours.

Oh, and JO does end up being charges less per hour at the higher end

My dd does JO, not excel but I can tell you that at 12 hours we paid $305, and at 16 hours $325. Dd also does tops, it's 3 hours/week (two sessions of 1 1/2 hours) for $40 a month.

It is MORE THAN typical for hourly rate to drop as hours increase. Having those team kids is what fills your rec program. Your rec kids subsidize your team and without your team your rec program doesn't flourish. You don't price the parents out. You drop the hourly rate each time you up the hours.

What are other gyms in your area charging? I would expect prices to vary by state/region/city, so what I pay in my area might not be at all relevant to what you can or should charge in yours. I think your best indication of reasonable or not would be your competition.

That said, I also want to make a major plug for making sure the change in hours will not eliminate girls from your program due to logistical challenges. Adding summer daytime hours would instantly mean my daughter couldn't participate unless you were matching the daycamp/childcare hours she would need to be supervised while I was at work all day. In fact, since daycamps are generally longer hours than school, with less flexibility, it would make it much harder during the summer. Unless you know that all of your girls have private childcare or stay-at-home moms, please consider this before making anything mandatory. Also remember that now some of your families are suddenly paying for childcare (or much more) than during the school year, so an additional increase in hours/fees might be a financial hurdle too high to clear.

Even this summer when she is finally old enough to stay by herself, there is no daytime transportation available to get her to the gym during work hours, so we'd still be in a bind. I know gymnastics involves family sacrifices but expecting a parent to lose/leave a job is a bit extreme, as well as obviously counterproductive to paying for those increased hours.

Suddenly I'm feeling very appreciative toward my DD's gym.

We pay $225/mo year round - 14 hours practice during the school year and, this summer, 20 hours. This may be a potential model you move toward as it spreads the additional cost out throughout the year for the parents. As parents, we KNOW the girls hours will increase in the summer, but we also know we won't be paying anything additional for those hours.

I will say that @Anna's_Mom had a great point - watch what hours you are scheduling and be aware that a jump in price may price some of the parents out of an increased practice schedule. I'm lucky in that our gym offer after-school and summer programs so I'm not stressed about getting my DD to practice. If your gym doesn't offer an after-school or summer program, it may be a good thing to look in to.

Suddenly I'm feeling very appreciative toward my DD's gym.

We pay $225/mo year round - 14 hours practice during the school year and, this summer, 20 hours. This may be a potential model you move toward as it spreads the additional cost out throughout the year for the parents. As parents, we KNOW the girls hours will increase in the summer, but we also know we won't be paying anything additional for those hours.

Wow! I am appreciative of your gym for you! That's awesome!

Our gym bumps the hours and moves them to daytime during the summer, and prices it accordingly. As far as I know, that is the norm for the area. I have no idea what working moms do, I'm guessing they carpool or have a home sitter that does the driving? I do know I've seen a lot of grandma's even during the school year so I am guessing that is something that happens to help out with transportation when mom/dad can't do it. I'm actually thrilled to get my evenings/family time back. (Not married but I live with my mom and we like relaxed evenings). Between both of my kiddos sports going to daytime hours during summer, it's going to be great! It would be nice if they would spread the cost out throughout the year though so it isn't a big hit during the summer, that's a pretty neat idea!

Our gym bills by the hours. So there is no difference in the hourly rate for your level. But of course the higher the level the more hours the kids do. For us it comes out to about 13.00 hourly. No matter Xcel or JO either. Its all the same hourly.

Again we do 3 days, some girls at my daughters level choose to do more hours. We are billed by the hours we practice in ll week cycles.

Privates are 35.00 an hour.

And I think additional kids in the same family get a flat fee discount, not sure what that is I think its like 25.00 off a cycle. But again I only have one so its not on my radar

Our gym bills by the hours. So there is no difference in the hourly rate for your level. But of course the higher the level the more hours the kids do. For us it comes out to about 13.00 hourly. No matter Xcel or JO either. Its all the same hourly.

Again we do 3 days, some girls at my daughters level choose to do more hours. We are billed by the hours we practice in ll week cycles.

Privates are 35.00 an hour.

And I think additional kids in the same family get a flat fee discount, not sure what that is I think its like 25.00 off a cycle. But again I only have one so its not on my radar

Wow! How could anyone afford upper level optionals? Twenty hours a week would be $260 a WEEK! Eek!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back