WAG Need Some Advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sleeplessinnewyork

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Hello! I just wanted to give a warning to those that have stumbled upon this thread and are considering reading it: this "may" turn into a rambling rant at some point, and I apologize for that. In advance. Just because.

So, basically, I've had a rather difficult time with gym this year, honestly not very much because of me-which is quite odd. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut ( I'm trying to use an American expression here and I feel I'm not using it at all correctly...) So I decided I may as well ask for some advice. I've talked to my parents about this , and they are really trying to help, but are constantly reminding me that they have not been involved with gymnastics before and aren't overly sure of what to do. I'm a level 8 gymnast.

Basically last season was my level 7 season, however, it didn't quite go as planned. I felt very confident at the beginning of the season, however, a few months before the competition season, something kind of strange happened to the gym. The head coach started competing in some adult league and skipping practice almost every day. Since the gym was quite small and had few coaches, one coach had to work with almost 4 levels at the same time- not the best situation.
This wouldn't have been such a huge issue, but the head coach made the routines, and I couldn't get a routine until I got my bhs on beam- which I was having some issues with . However, I was not allowed on high beam during practice to work on it because the other girls needed to work on their routines. The situation grew ridiculous, and I had to skip many meets because I had no routine, and no-one else could make it. Finally, after a big discussion with my parents, I got a routine made in 15 minutes and was told that I would compete soon.
Very soon, my coach stopped allowing me to work bhs on beam b/c I was "wasting the team's time" I was sent to work on a flight cartwheel which I was supposed to compete.

At the meet, I fell very hard on that "dive cartwheel" and did something to my shoulder. At first, it was deemed to be fine, but we later found out that the issue was quite serious. A few days later, I received a shocking email from my coach that stated that she believed I was "not fit to be on team because I was a bad competitor and couldn't handle pressure", and suggested that I should try a different program. (I had had a strong l6 season, so we couldn't figure it out). We couldn't reason with the coach, and I was put off team.

There is only one other gym that I could try, but the coach emailed us that she didn't have room and to try again later. We tried 3 times, but got the same response. However, in that time, one of my teammates was accepted onto that team for that same level. So. I was stuck without a team for the rest of the season. I went to open gym daily at a different facility, and managed to stay in shape. Over the summer. I traveled 2 hours daily to train with a team farther away. It was very good, but from my school the commute would be impossible. (Oh, and switching schools is not an option, as the school is one of the nation's best and I can't reject my acceptance there.)

Now, we have received notice of an open spot on the new team. The only issue is- we are on vacation for 2 weeks. The spot will be held, but I have to "try out". (The gym is quite competitive). I'm very worried that I will lose skills over vacation, get out of shape, and thus not get accepted. I also don't have ALL of my level 8 skills. My series is not yet on high beam,my vault is also not quite ready, and I need to work a little on bars and floor, just small things- the fairly competitive gym may not be okay with that. However, this is our first real vacation in 4 years and we cannot cut it short. I can't train with a team because it is a road trip, and we aren't in an area for over a day. This team is literally my last chance to keep doing gymnastics, and it means so much to me. I am trying to condition and stretch, and we are doing a lot of strenuous hiking, but I'm very worried. I would be very grateful for any advice, and I am terribly sorry about the length.

I may have been one of the lucky gymnasts who could take a couple off weeks off and then have my skills better than they were. It only lasts a few days until you get tired and sore, but you may surprise yourself for the tryout.

Part of what made this possible, in my opinion, is the amount of gymnastics I'd do in my head. You know, like the perfect swing to handstand, or a dismount that couldn't be any better. I really think your brain is part of the learning process while you practice and it's such a part of your learning that it can improve skills without your body moving through the skills..... well that's if you don't count the slight movements (air gymnastics) you feel yourself doing when you think about a skill.

Stay active and positive while your on vacation, and have fun. A happy and rested gymnasts always does better than a tired and sad one.

It sounds like getting out of your last gym was for the best, not so sure that is a coach I would want to be working with long term. And it's great that you've been able to keep your skills up on your own! You won't lose all of that hard work and progress overnight (or over several nights!). Work on your corrections in your head, visual your skills mentally, try to build yourself up mentally for the try-out experience so you can go in feeling confident.
It sounds like you are staying active during your vacation, not just lounging around on a couch someplace watching movies, which will benefit you- especially when combined with your independent stretching. Try to relax and enjoy your vacation. You sound like a great gymnast with a lot of passion for the sport, remember that! Let us know how it goes, best wishes!

Thank you so much for all of your replies! I feel much better about it all now, and I am much more confident about retaining my skills. My parents and I have decided that I will probably go to an open gym once or twice just so I can run through everything quickly and get used to things again. ( I.m a really form concious and techique concious gymnast, and don,t get bad habits from open gym).
I do have 2 more questions, though, if you could be so kind.
1: Is it considered okay if your vault is not fully ready at this tim,e ( I do a yurchenko and it isn.t really ready yet)?
2: When do you start working full routines with your gymnasts? Are your practices still focused mainly on fine tuning skills or on competition routines?
Thank you so much!

In my opinion it all depends on the gym. Each gym is different. My daughter's old gym kept helping girls get their skills up until states. The HC seemed to not be overly concerned about getting skills before competition season. It is not uncommon for this gym to have gymnasts compete their routines even if they've never been able to do the whole routine by themselves at practice! :eek: They've even spotted at smaller meets. Go figure! While this type gym may help you get in, opt for another gym.

My daughter's current gym will not let you compete if you don't have all your skills competition or very close to competition ready by the end of summer training. Then he starts piecing the skills together by fall.

So sorry to hear all the trouble you've gone through. You seem tough and are taking everything in stride. I sincerely hope you get in the gym that is best suited for you. In the meantime, stay positive, don't stress over the tryouts too much. Do the best you can and just be willing to work hard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back